ducks picking on chickens?

• 3 Replies

matilda duck

« on: October 27, 2008, 11:13 »
Sorry to ask this as it's probably an obvious answer?  My 4 ducks are picking on my chickens.  We moved them all into a new house when we had the chickens.  They seemed to be tetchy towards each other but we were told the chickens would be boss!!!  How wrong, the ducks are allowed in the garden 3/4 times a week but the other days they are all kept in a large area together.  They wont let the chickens near the food, if the chickens walk past the ducks peck at them.   :twisted: How can I stop this???  Or do I just let them all get on with it????

poultrygeist

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 12:13 »
When our mallards are visiting, the dog won't go out unless they move away from the door and the cat just runs past at speed.

I don't know who would come out on top between the ducks and our chickens. They're all pretty headstrong.

I can only think of letting them run alongside each other but separated until they become less aggressive to each other.

There are a few members who keep ducks and chickens successfully. Hopefully they can advise you better. :)

Good luck with them and where's the photos ???  :shock:

Rob 8)

Vember

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 12:19 »
Hi Matilda

Ducks aren't scared of anything unfortunately, even my little call ducks put their heads down & charge the hens out of the way when it comes to food :shock:
I put more feeders down so that I can be sure every one get their fair share :)
I do find once they've eaten the ducks go off and do thier own thing :)
The hens have learnt to keep their distance  :lol:

Not much help but rest assured it isn't just yours that do it :D

Sarah :)

matilda duck

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 12:52 »
Thanks guys....   :oops:  Yet again it's just one of those things.. I'm sure in time they will love to love each other :lol:  :lol: .  Never mind the chickens the dog hates all of them. I think he is actually terrified more than anything......There is only me who could have a stupid red setter!!!????? :) live and learn

xx
Picking up chickens

Started by linzechris on The Hen House

27 Replies
Last post October 22, 2008, 21:49
by agapanthus
question
Chickens & Ducks

Started by shellroberts on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 20, 2015, 18:45
by upert
xx
Ducks and chickens together?

Started by pandora on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 02, 2010, 09:50
by violet
xx
ducks with chickens

Started by adi on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 03, 2011, 09:16
by Sassy

Page created in 0.272 seconds with 34 queries.