Picking up chickens

• 27 Replies

linzechris

Picking up chickens
« on: October 21, 2008, 10:56 »
Hi, I have 4 exbats which came to me in a very sorry state in August. They are extremely nervous and jumpy and the slightest loud noise or fast movement sends them running inside their coop.
They do come to me and I can feed them from my hand as long as I am bending down and do'nt make any sudden moves.
I would dearly love to stroke them and pick them up but any moves towards this, even gentle approaches sends them scurrying.
Will it always be like this or will they eventually let me touch them.
I don't want to frighten them or cause any stress.
I feed them titbits often and they run towards me whenever they see me so it's not too bad.
Any ideas on how to tame them further?
Christine J Jeavons

Kate and her Ducks

Picking up chickens
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 10:59 »
Thing the way to their hearts is definately through their stamachs and would keep going the way you are.

I hear on here that chickens would sell their souls for dried meal worms (suppose that depends on whether you think they have souls :roll: ).
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Foxy

Picking up chickens
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 11:04 »
Hi Linzechris!

Welcome to the Henhouse, we also love piccies here, it is the law you know  :lol:

linzechris

Picking up chickens
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 11:17 »
Hi, nice friendly site this but must get on... so many jobs to do!!! Thanks for advice so far. Will definately buy mealworms.
Will post some piccies soon. Will get my daughter to show me how. :D

Bodger

Picking up chickens
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 12:50 »
What you need to do, is to go and pick them up at nightime off their perches and then cuddle and talk to them.

This is only a course of action for absolute chicken nuts of course, but you'll be able to pick them up without any struggle and fuss and if you do this a number of times, they'll soon realise that you mean them no harm and that you are as puddled as a brush. :lol:

poultrygeist

Picking up chickens
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 12:57 »
I knew bodger was a chicken hugger really ! :wink:  :lol:

Hi Linzechris. I found that the secret with ours was to get at their level. It does require kneeling in muck but worthwhile. :roll:   They will come and investigate you on their own terms and after a few pecks they may even jump onto your lap or shoulder and see what you taste and feel like. It does help having somethign nice to tempt them too of course  :D

If you can dig a few worms up (not too many at once) they will dive beneath the tines once they make the connection.

Rob 8)

Foxy

Picking up chickens
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 13:08 »
Quote from: "poultrygeist"

Hi Linzechris. I found that the secret with ours was to get at their level. It does require kneeling in muck but worthwhile. :roll:   They will come and investigate you on their own terms and after a few pecks they may even jump onto your lap or shoulder and see what you taste and feel like. It does help having somethign nice to tempt them too of course  :D

If you can dig a few worms up (not too many at once) they will dive beneath the tines once they make the connection.

Rob 8)

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  oh dear Rob, that made me laugh! Just got this mental image of Rob at eye level talking to his chickens if only they could talk back would it be something like...

"Maisy why is that human lying on the grass"?
Doris replies with a puzzled look "Dunno"
" He looks very comfy though, we could jump on him and see what happens?"

:lol:  :lol:

linzechris

Picking up chickens
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 13:12 »
hi picking them up at night is really difficult as they are in a little ark so the only access to the inside of that is to take the whole of the side off which might freak them out.
Have tried sitting on the floor and they will come up to me but if I dare move....!And they wont step on me or anything.
I put a log out for them to climb on and they wont even go on that!(even with nice juicy worms put on it!)
Not trying to be negative honest!

poultrygeist

Picking up chickens
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 13:33 »
Quote from: "Foxy"
Quote from: "poultrygeist"

Rob 8)

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  oh dear Rob, that made me laugh! Just got this mental image of Rob at eye level talking to his chickens if only they could talk back would it be something like...

"Maisy why is that human lying on the grass"?
Doris replies with a puzzled look "Dunno"
" He looks very comfy though, we could jump on him and see what happens?"

:lol:  :lol:

You know me so well  :roll:  :)

I think it could be a slow process Linzechris but they are very inquisitive and sooner or leter they'll connect you with food and see you;re not a threat. Then you'll never be able to wear shoelaces again.  :)

Bodger

Picking up chickens
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 13:33 »
Given a choice between kneeling in poop and picking them up off a perch at night, I know which I think is the easier. :roll:

Lardman

Picking up chickens
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 14:01 »
Quote from: "Bodger"
Given a choice between kneeling in poop and picking them up off a perch at night, I know which I think is the easier. :roll:

Thats if they're perching - if they sleep on the floor and you try a scoop them up you know what's going to happen.... Come on we've all done it ! That feeling as put your hand in it and it goes under your finger nail  :x  :cry:

Mine still make a racket when I pick them up but as soon as I've got hold of them securely they're fine.

Vember

Picking up chickens
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 14:22 »
Quote from: "Lardman"

Come on we've all done it ! That feeling as put your hand in it and it goes under your finger nail  :x  :cry:

Nope you've lost me there Lardman, never had that experience  :roll:  :lol:

Just like I would never have a turkey sit on my head for a bit then having put him away tootle off to the shop and not change my jumper before hand  :oops:  :oops:  :lol:

Sarah :)

Bodger

Picking up chickens
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 15:16 »
You pick them up around their wings to keep them calm and stop them from flapping, you fingers shouldn't go near the poop. :lol: The finger lift is not best practice. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

There you go. Note the position of the fingers. :lol:

The picture is also for Shazzer who doubted me , when I said you could have spectacles to stop feather pecking.

agapanthus

Picking up chickens
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 15:32 »
Quote from: "linzechris"
hi picking them up at night is really difficult as they are in a little ark so the only access to the inside of that is to take the whole of the side off which might freak them out.
Have tried sitting on the floor and they will come up to me but if I dare move....!And they wont step on me or anything.
I put a log out for them to climb on and they wont even go on that!(even with nice juicy worms put on it!)
Not trying to be negative honest!

Why not just sit near them for a while....say reading a book and totally ignore them. They might wonder why mama is'nt taking any notice of them and investigate!! This works with my 3 house chooks!!! ;)

Bodger

Picking up chickens
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2008, 15:34 »
What sort of storys do chickens like listening to Aggy ? :lol:

xx
ducks picking on chickens?

Started by matilda duck on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 28, 2008, 12:52
by matilda duck
xx
Poo picking

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 24, 2009, 20:44
by janeheritage
xx
Poo picking

Started by jhub on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post December 31, 2011, 10:12
by Sassy
xx
Poo picking.

Started by zoeadh on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post December 13, 2010, 09:36
by Pol

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 36 queries.