Winter Growing?

• 16 Replies

SG6

Winter Growing?
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2008, 08:23 »
Peapod, I didn't give quite enough information:
I started the leeks off last Feb/March in pots, they grew to about 2-3 ins then stopped, the pots were a good size, 2ins I think, and watered. But they just stopped. :? All survived however. :D

I waited until later in the year and as nothing had happened, still alive and still 2 ins I planted them in the veg patch. Probably a bit late in the year by then - July I think.

They grew to about 5-6 ins, very thin, then stopped again. They are still in the veg patch and still about 5-6 ins all 21 of them. Not a one has died. :o

So I have 21 leeks that look similar to leeks that are at the size to be planted out, but they have have been out for 4+ months and are 7-8 months old. :cry:

I have dug over and prepared a new area for next years leeks. So I started wondering if I could use these ones that I sowed last March but which look like seedlings.

Wondering if they will get going next year and have a bit of a head start, if the will go to seed or if I am wasting my time and no chance of them growing. :D

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Winter Growing?
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2008, 10:26 »
Ah I see, then if it was me Id give up and get some new ones! They are obviously lazy beggers  :D

Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

xx
Winter growing

Started by Ma Lowe on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 05, 2010, 21:31
by rainbow1
xx
What are you growing over this winter?

Started by FCG on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post August 17, 2008, 11:22
by Griffo
xx
Winter growing and the greenhouse?

Started by spiritofold on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post October 10, 2006, 19:21
by BigA
xx
Growing Potatoes Over Winter

Started by Bethslosttheplot on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 26, 2008, 21:32
by Iain@JBA

Page created in 0.874 seconds with 28 queries.