One for the morning.

• 14 Replies

Bodger

One for the morning.
« on: October 11, 2008, 23:05 »
A visit to a free range commercial blue egg laying unit.  

You'll have to wait until the morning for the low down and all the pictures. See you in the morning. My! Aren't I a tease ? :lol:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
One for the morning.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 23:12 »
Yes you are  :lol:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

too many girls

One for the morning.
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 23:17 »
tease? i can think of a better name than that......................

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
One for the morning.
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 04:10 »
Well by the time I see the post it's almost morning so I don't have as long to wait.

Knight Family

One for the morning.
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 04:28 »
Is it truely free range not one of these 1,000 girls and 3 small doors is it?

Guess I'll have to wait but 4.30am is morning or is that still night time...
Graham = 2x Border collie Dogs, 2x Cats, 1x Wife, 2x Kids, 2x Hamsters and now 10x chickens.

ceri green

• Experienced Member
One for the morning.
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 08:47 »
its morning now................................

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
One for the morning.
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 11:24 »
Come on Bodger!!!!! :shock:  it now nearly the afternoon!!!!! :?  piccies and info pleeeeeaaaaasssssseeeeee!!!!!
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bodger

One for the morning.
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 11:56 »
Here you are. :lol:

Last Friday night, Kaz and I stayed B&B in a very beautiful farmhouse with some extremely friendly and pleasant hosts. This was prior to us going to the Cider festival at Ralphs Cider in New Radnor.
Heres a picture of the farmhouse.

and some of the wonderful views.

John the farmer says that he's retired but he hasn't really :smile: On the Friday evening, infront of a roaring log stove, the conversation got around to one of my favourite subjects, that of chickens. He then let it slip that the farm boasted a free range flock of commercial blue egg laying chickens. He said that the enterprise was only on a small scale and that they only had four thousand birds.  :shock:

Yesterday morning, he very kindly gave us a guided tour of the facility. It was a new enterprise for the farm and he reckoned that it represented an investment of around £80,000. It was well worth taking the pleasant stroll to have a look. Here's the first view that we had.

and a few of the chickens out in the fresh air. They were all the same strain of blue egg laying hybrids but they were very varied in colour.

The hens had the use of several acres of field.

They were well protected by a mains electric fence which also had a stand by generator permanently at the ready.

Now we were taken into what to all intents and purposes was a massive poly tunnel like structure. It had been manufactured in Bulgaria and was reconstructed over here in the space of three weeks by some Brits living in Bulgaria. Its built in such a way that it can be jacked up for cleaning and then towed to fresh ground.

There was absolutely loads of the access and egress points for the birds but we were suprised that at 9.30 am in the morning, the larger proportion of the birds had chose to stay indoors. John explained that at sometimes of the day, far more would be outside but that it seemed to go in phases.

Human intervention was kept to a minimum wherever possible and the ample nesting areas had a conveyor belt system that carried the eggs to here where they were graded and stacked on trays.

Due to the lighting conditions and possibly the camera, the eggs don't look particularly blue, but I can assure you that they are. A lorry comes to the unit twice a week to take the eggs away.

Just about everything is automated in this state of the art system. Its all push button.

Its not quite as we keep ours but the chickens were well looked after and seemed perfectly at ease and happy.

IMO, it was the farmer who was under far more stress than the birds . He told me that the eggs were sold to the end user at £4.00 a dozen and that the credit crunch was affecting sales with people thinking twice about purchasing them. The four thousand chickens were consuming approximately three and half tons of feed per week at £230 pounds per ton.  In the light of the investment that he'd only recently paid out for the unit and the precarious situation of the current market, it wouldn't be a committment that I'd want to have.
I thoroughly enjoyed the tour and I saw it as an absolutely massive contrast to the battery system. I couldn't see how in anyway the conditions for the birds could be improved on.
Next June, all the birds will be whisked away to be made into soup, the place will be cleaned and disinfected ready for the next batch. lets hope that my host still has a market to cater for.  :D

Vember

One for the morning.
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 12:05 »
Wow Thanks Bodger Pics & info fantastic

Worth the wait  :lol:

Like the idea of the tunnel being able to be moved about although I suspect it takes alot of work & organisation :)

Sarah :D

poultrygeist

One for the morning.
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 12:58 »
Excellent setup. Can just about make out the colour. The hens all look happy enough. :)

Thanks and glad you enjoyed your stop-over.

Rob 8)

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
One for the morning.
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2008, 21:42 »
eggcellent bodger! they look like white leghorns but know they lay white eggs. before my girls started to lay i bought some blue free range eggs. they were from the cotswold legbar! they were really fab eggs. wish i had a hen that laid blue eggies!!!

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
One for the morning.
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 21:48 »
it's great to see free range birds on such a large scale actually being that; completely free ranging  :D

Looks like you had a thouroughly good time too  :D

blulagoo

• Experienced Member
One for the morning.
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2008, 23:37 »
could't we 'rescue' the hens from soup and have some blue eggies!?

Bodger

One for the morning.
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2008, 07:01 »
Its a thought that did cross my mind. I reckon that come next June, which is when the birds will be replaced, that the farmer will get a very small remuneration from the soup or pie company that will eventually get them.

Roughlee Handled

One for the morning.
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2008, 09:22 »
Looks great thanks Bodger.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

xx
My First Egg!! And Another This Morning!! YAY

Started by Vickie & Richard on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post August 22, 2008, 19:44
by NormandyMary
xx
This morning.....

Started by Stree on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 25, 2008, 23:09
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Given a fright this morning

Started by matilda duck on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post December 15, 2009, 22:30
by dizzylizzie
xx
My hen died this morning

Started by compostqueen on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post June 01, 2011, 22:32
by newChickenMummy

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 29 queries.