Will these Chillies ripen?

• 8 Replies

OB

« on: September 21, 2008, 19:20 »
Hi All,

My first year at growing chillies (Hot Stuff) which are inside in my conservatory. I have one plant that has some fruit on it of good size but they are still green. Even after the decent sunshine of the last week or so they don't show any signs of changing colour. Do all chillies change colour from green when ripening or do some simply stay green when ripe? I've tried one which had good heat and flavour so I don't know if I should harvest or not? I don't want to waste them. The packet says a selection of colourful fruits but the fruit on all four plants I have grown are green even this advanced one. Thoughts please........................

OB

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 20:57 »
As far as I know they are like sweet peppers you can eat them at any stage from green to red they just get hotter.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

gobs

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 21:37 »
... and it's anybody's guess if they will ripen, too many variables from weather to variety, etc.

But, it's end of September, whatever colour they are, they might be safer on your window sill now, wether they change colour or not, does not matter, you can have them, if you save them from slugs and other misery.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

richardwil

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 22:34 »
Hi

My Joes Long Chillies are ripening well and they were started early in the house and grown on in the greenhouse. I have green and red chillies on the same plants and harvest when red. I like to dry my chillies until they are leathery then they keep well and are easy to cook with. I started growing these in early March. I have some Habenaro  and Thai chillies which are still green (and small) and I started these off in mid to late April so they have not had as long to grow.

I would just leave the chillies until they start to turn red. You can eat them green but red is usually hotter.

If they turn red and you want to dry them leave them on the plants as long as possible until they start to dry naturally, then cut them off with the stalk attached.  Removing the stalk allows infection to get inside and by leaving it on it acts as a wick and helps draw out more moisture.

There is still time so just wait - then enjoy. If you start sweating before the fork reaches your mouth - it's hot enough.

Cheers

agapanthus

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 23:15 »
I agree with Richard...also they store better when they are red. :) Perhaps next time you grow them you should start them earlier if possible? They need a long growing period....I try and start mine off late January :)

cawdor2001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 10:38 »
mine are only just ripening.  I am going to 'prune' the plants this year and keep them over winter so they are already established for an early start next year.

Cawdor
Used to be indecisive, now i'm not so sure...

gobs

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 12:10 »
Sorry, I missed they were in the conservatory. :oops:

There you have a chance with them, but I harvest mine all summer as and when needed, from when the fruits are filled out enough. For plenty of reasons, a couple being that they are good and the plants will keep producing more.

OB

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 14:19 »
Okay I will leave them longer and see what happens, the conservatory gets pretty warm when the sun is on it so i'll keep my fingers crossed for some colour to appear...........

Thanks

Fat Hen

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 21:27 »
I was still picking ripe chillis at Christmas last year so bags of time yet.  Most of mine are still flowering and setting fruit & hopefully will continue for some time.

xx
Best way to ripen chillies

Started by cheshirecheese on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 28, 2012, 17:54
by compostqueen
xx
Toms - When will they ripen?

Started by Kathie on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 28, 2011, 14:32
by mumofstig
xx
Are my tomatoes ever going to ripen?

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post August 29, 2011, 22:50
by NN2Blue
xx
Will my squash ripen

Started by chillimummy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 01, 2018, 22:23
by chillimummy

Page created in 0.747 seconds with 29 queries.