Best way to ripen chillies

• 9 Replies

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
Best way to ripen chillies
« on: August 21, 2012, 09:27 »
I've grown chillies for the first time this year (various varieties of the long red jalapeno type).  I want them to ripen fully but obviously they're still green at the moment.  Is it ok to leave them on the plant until they ripen to red?  They're quite a size already (the individual chillies that is) - will they stop growing when they reach optimum size?

compostqueen

Re: Best way to ripen chillies
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 09:50 »
I leave mine on the plants to ripen.  I've not noticed that they get supersized if left on the plant  :)

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 12:10 »
Thanks - it's just that some of them are about to come into contact with the soil in the pot as they're now so long, so I didn't want them to start rotting!!   :(

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 13:18 »

When you come to harvest them, make sure you have a decent bit of stem.  Using a needle and strong thread threading through the stems string the chilies up in the kitchen - very rustik ! ::)

Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 18:16 »
I tend to pick and use /freeze most of mine whilst still green. I find them hotter that way, and most of my Indian recipes say to use green chillies in masala etc.

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 20:04 »
The reason I want them red is because I make a lot of chilli jam (I posted the recipe in the relevant section here recently).  They need to be red, otherwise it looks as though there are dubious 'bits' in the jam!!  I make it in big quantities (I use 5kg of red peppers at a time), so the colour does make a difference for me. :)

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 11:52 »
When you freeze chillies they keep their colour very well  :)

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 13:23 »
At this time of year I leave them on the plant until they turn red. But at the end of the season when I want to get rid of the plants, I do pick the green ones and put them in a dish on the windowsill. Or sometimes I string them up. Either way, they'll turn red and then dry out nicely, don't need to do anything special. I personally prefer using dried chillies because they're just easier to handle. I've got chilli juice in my eyes once and I don't ever want to do that again. And when they're dried you also have the option of turning them into chilli flakes or chilli powder if you want to.

Ian_A

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 13:30 »
i leave about half to ripen and the rest I pick while green to freeze whole, and to take out of freezer as and when over the coming year.

compostqueen

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 17:54 »
I am a chilli nut and love to use my chillies fresh, dried, frozen, ground, flaked, raw etc etc.  I once decided to freeze a huge amount but I thought it would be a good idea to deseed them and have them sliced in two as they were quite big. Big mistake!!!! They give off some sort of gas and I was soon coughing, choking, spluttering, unable to breathe etc etc   You live and learn  :D

I think varieties of hot chillies become even hotter on being dried :)

xx
Will these Chillies ripen?

Started by OB on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 23, 2008, 21:27
by Fat Hen
xx
Toms - When will they ripen?

Started by Kathie on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 28, 2011, 14:32
by mumofstig
xx
Will my squash ripen

Started by chillimummy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 01, 2018, 22:23
by chillimummy
xx
Chilli's yet to ripen

Started by Yorkshire Lass on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post September 27, 2015, 19:12
by ghost61

Page created in 0.773 seconds with 36 queries.