MY girls have gone on strike

• 10 Replies

chucky

« on: September 10, 2008, 17:55 »
hey guys,

Out of my 7 girls there was one who wasnt laying dont know which one though, in the last 2 weeks the others seem to have gone on strike. I was getting 6 eggs a day now im down to 4 a day sometimes 3 but today i only had 2.  

Would it be down to the weather or something else.

They are given fresh water every day and laying pellets as well as other chicken feed along with leftover scraps from the kitchen, give them corn once a week and the odd lettuce and other fresh veg during the week

any help or advice would be appreciated

thanks

Vember

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 18:01 »
There could be a few reasons for them not laying :)

Are they moulting?
Are they eating too well? :)

Are they sniffley/sneezing?
Poops normal?

How are they in themselfs? doing the normal stuff or just standing around?
Have you checked them over for any creepy crawlies? Lice can sometimes stop a hen laying.
Are they in a run or free range?
Have they been wormed recentley?
How old are they?
What sort of hen's are they/

I'm sorry about all the questions but if you could answer them it could narrow things down a bit, then you'll get the right answers :)

Sarah :)

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 18:09 »
During shorter daylight hours you chickens may go off lay completely or are very reduced.  Also check for red mite in the hen house as this can be an indication of the first signs of the hens being dragged down as their blood is taken.  But it is common that hens may reduce or go off lay when the weather is wet or cold for ling periods.
mrs.ploppy

chucky

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 18:12 »
there are a lot of feathers about lately mainly from the 2 darker coloured chooks

am i feeding them too much ??

one of my warrens seems to have like a mix between a cough and a sneeze type noise

poo is anywhere between erm normal and occasionally runny

they seem themselves rosey away happily, i havent seen any bug type creepies anywhere, they are in a 16ft x 8ft run but they have eaten all the grass there now so they are on a mix of mud and straw (laid it down so i didnt skid everywhere when i went in)

didnt know i had to worm them ( do i get that from vet?)

not sure of age but i know my white one is just over a year ( i got them from a farmer in local village and he has about 500 of them)

My chickens

those are my chooks

Vember

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 18:29 »
Hi Chucky

You can feed chucks too well, they get fat and stop laying :)

Yes you have to worm hens approx every 6 months the best stuff fo this job is flubenvet mixed in with their feed, you can get this from most poultry suppliers

Here is a link re Worms
http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=4348

For the Lice etc you would need to look round the chickens vent area this is where most are found.

Here is a link re external parasites
http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=4348

And defo only one hen with the sneezes? How long has she has this?
It may require antibiotics which would mean a trip to the vets.

I think you should get them wormed as soon as possible and double check for Lice etc...

Sarah :)

chucky

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 18:38 »
thanks sarah

poultrygeist

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 18:39 »
Hi chucky. I agree with everything Vember says. You ought to isolate your sniffly one, in case she has a viral infection.

But the feathers would suggest moulting, which is a stressful time for them. They may benefit from a bit of extra protein to help make the new feathers. I know a little cat food is soemtimes suggested.

Rob 8)

chucky

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 18:42 »
thanks for ur advice rob

still havent got a name for the white one or any of the warrens but then again i cant tell em apart except for one who has a wonky beak bit like being short tongued she is short beaked hahahaha but even she has no name !!

poultrygeist

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 19:07 »
I'm afraid we never got round to giving ours names either, except Mrs Brown, who is mostly brown. It seems wrong but we just couldn't agree on any.  :?

Rob 8)

Brambles

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 22:24 »
When I had all silkies they stopped laying during the colder months.  Also stopped when moulting AND when broody, which in this breed is often.  The hens I have now are various breeds and much more eager to lay.  Apart from that I agree with everything else that has been said.

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
Chucky's poorly hens
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 18:34 »
It sounds to me that like many people up and down the country (as you can see from reading other questions on this forum), that you are not alone with this problem.  If even one of your chickens are having the sniffles you can 100% say that the others ar harbouring the problem too, it's just their defences are stronger than the weakest one.  Get hen to vets as it will be be a viral problem that will not go away on it's own.  They will gradully spread to others and you run the risk that some will die, as this is what happend to mine only a short time ago.  If a hen goes off lay out of season there is always a reason for it- good or bad! Moulting, bad weather, the cold, seasons and parasites are all causes but with the weather as it is at the monent, viruses spread from bird to bird very quickly.  Humidity seems to help sread bacteria and viruses.  Hopefully a course of antbiotics will clear it and the sooner the better before you start loosing hens.  Hope this clears for you soon.   :)

xx
Help! Fly strike!

Started by Casey76 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 08, 2010, 23:00
by susannasducks
xx
Chickens on STRIKE

Started by Andy999 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 10:31
by Andy999
xx
On strike in protest?

Started by Rasco on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 29, 2010, 18:00
by bantam novice
xx
Chicken on strike!

Started by ScottBarton on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 30, 2009, 21:23
by grumpydad

Page created in 0.265 seconds with 37 queries.