Free Ranging??

• 5 Replies

Vickie & Richard

Free Ranging??
« on: September 10, 2008, 14:17 »
I would love to free range my girls, but i have few issues, i live in a row of 11 cottages and our back gardens are open plan to eachother.  Some people would hate that idea, but it works for us, as we get to know everyone and have a lovely old fashion neighbourhood.  Now i can easily ask my neighbours if they have any issues with my girls wondering around, and i would have to check if any use slug pellets of course.  My two main concerned are, how much damage can they do free ranging and we are surrounded by cats (10 in total).  The cats that have gone upto the run have been scared off, but, if they are free ranging can the cats hurt my girls??

Vember

Free Ranging??
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 14:28 »
My girlies free range and we have 6 cats, all of which keep their distance. The girls have a knack of pecking them right between the eye's which for some reason the cats don't like  :lol:

We have squirted our cats with a water pistol in the begining to keep them away, but to be honest I think if the cats do follow them it's more out of curiosity and they soon get bored and leave well alone.

As to the amount of damage they can do well you wouln't want to be too garden proud if you let them out they'll eat any seedlings and green shoots, new growth etc... Flower heads if they can get at them. Scratch & dig up stuff.
Again I find that this depends on the amount of room, small area more damage, bigger area less damage - or is this because you just don't notice it the same in a larger area :?  :lol:

Sarah :)

compostqueen

Free Ranging??
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 00:13 »
they do dig the flowerbeds up and I don't think your neighbours would be too pleased about that, plus they dodo everywhere so I think you should keep them on your bit  :D  They can eat an awful lot of flowers in a very short time plus all the digging and scratching they do.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Free Ranging??
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 15:58 »
Yep they are great little JCBs and they poo every where (we say poo not dodo CQ :roll: ) especially on back door steps.  

They dig out flower pots.  If they can't eat a plant they will pull it to pieces.  They love to dig deep dust baths in the soil and throw dirt all over the lawn or patio  :!:

Fine in your own garden but I'd not subject my neighbours to it  :shock:

violet

• Experienced Member
Free Ranging??
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 19:52 »
I love my little and not so little girls.........BUT....... they are just demolishon happy when it comes to gardens.  We are lucky we have a lot of space but een so I have just bought some posts and netting (from omlet) so that I can let half of the garden recover a little and then move them around again.

I think its a bit like farmers call crop rotation... I think of it more as dodo rotation! oooops sorry just realised I have to say poo...anyway whatever you call it, there is al ot of it! :lol:

Lemon

Free Ranging??
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 20:28 »
yeah!   Poo!

Nobody tells you how much of the stuff there will be when you get chickens??!!!?!?

We move their 2.5m run every day and the grass always has plenty of poo on it!!!   I have trouble finding a 'clean' spot to chuck their afternoon corn on to!!!
Mama Hen to Bokky (Lt Sussex X) & Korma (R.I.R X) & wife to Chookie Papa

xx
Help with free ranging

Started by nic_28 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 21, 2011, 16:29
by nic_28
xx
Free ranging now- and the thanks we get?

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 02, 2008, 10:36
by Oliveview
xx
free ranging

Started by mikebucks on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post February 01, 2008, 14:48
by wildeone
xx
free ranging

Started by looe-looe-belle on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post October 04, 2010, 20:48
by rachelr

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 36 queries.