Small Lemon Tree UK

• 9 Replies

mike2niner4

Small Lemon Tree UK
« on: August 31, 2008, 12:12 »
Hey,

I want to grow a lemon tree and i live in the UK...

Whats the best variaty for a large cropping, small, tasty tree?

Many Thanks

Mike

Kate and her Ducks

Small Lemon Tree UK
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 12:29 »
I think that four seasons and meyer are ok but I have never had much luck with lemons. Did have a fantastic lime for years that cropped reliably on a window ledge Was heart broken when it died :cry:
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

mike2niner4

Small Lemon Tree UK
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 12:43 »
How come you didn't have much luck? Are they quite hard?

SG6

Small Lemon Tree UK
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 20:53 »
Four  Seasons is good, think it is the one I have.
They like being outside and can take some cold, mine goes out in April and I bring it in about Oct/Nov.

Bought it at the Citrus Centre. This year outside it has sort of run amok and is a lot bigger then when it went out. May have been putting it into a bigger pot and new compost.

Not sure where you are in the UK, but if you haven't one at the moment then it may not be a good time to get one. Simply because you will have to bring it inside soon and it can be a little difficult getting the conditions right. Then again you will have to do it one day.

Mine goes into a bright but unheated room and is watered about once a week. If you have a conservatory the great go ahead.

SG6

Small Lemon Tree UK
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 21:02 »
Just checked, mine is a type called Verna.
May go find out about it now.

Kate and her Ducks

Small Lemon Tree UK
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 21:04 »
Don't know why I didn't do so well, sure it will be something I didn't do right. Did have loads of problems with scale insects draining the life from them and sometimes I was not as attentive as I should have been. Also do not have anywhere bright and warm like a conservatory over winter.

SG6

Small Lemon Tree UK
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 19:00 »
Agree that scale insect is a major problem especially when they are indoors.

As I said I found that  an unheated bright room was the best. I had previously overwintered them in the same room but had a small radiator on (not a lot) in the room. Both lemon and lime lost leaves heavily each year, 2 of.

Then one year I simply never got round to turning the radiator on and  they didn't lose any leaves, well 6 in 5 months. So now it an unheated room for overwintering.

Last overwintering spell the lime grew 4 limes that went into cheese cakes. :D

Don't think that lemons are what we would term tropical, much more a temperate tree. I think however that our winter may be a little colder then it really prefers and more likely insufficent sunlight during our winter.

Limes are tropical.

chrissie B

Small Lemon Tree UK
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 19:35 »
we have a friend who's hubby is from Albania and his dad grows lemons he says they are very sweet for lemons and you can eat them like an orange so i have asked him to get me one on his next visit , i don't know the name of them but will try to find out .
Chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Johndeb

• Ashridge Nurseries
Small Lemon
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 18:24 »
We grow one in a border in the garden outside all year (it is against a south facing wall).  It crops 8 years out of ten and gets virtually no scale insect.  I cover it with fleece if there is a frost warning, but when I forget it just drops its leaves and grows them again.  The type is Four seasons, but you only get one fruitng here.

A neighbour of my mum had one on a first floor balcony in a tub in central London.  It stayed out all the time and she covered it with a sheet if it was cold.  Her best crop (if I remember right) was over 10 Kilos in a summer....
Good luck
John

SG6

Small Lemon Tree UK
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 18:25 »
Chrissie: The following is the description of a lemon that the citrus centre have, happened to read it yesterday, then your posting today. Sounds similar:

Lemonade. This lemon hybrid, as it's name implies, when squeezed produces the perfect thirst quencher (no sugar needed) but can also be peeled and eaten just like an orange.

question
Lemon tree

Started by Walfre on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 06, 2015, 19:17
by SusieB
xx
Should I pot on my lemon tree

Started by JT101 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 09, 2012, 19:19
by arugula
xx
reviving lemon tree

Started by andyf75 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 27, 2015, 09:38
by sunshineband
xx
lemon tree advice

Started by helluvatractor on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 14, 2007, 13:24
by chrissie B

Page created in 0.903 seconds with 36 queries.