Poorly Veg!

• 3 Replies

alwayshopeful

• Experienced Member
Poorly Veg!
« on: September 03, 2008, 14:22 »
Well, where do I start!  Had a really healthy veg plot in my garden - swede doing well, as were peas, runner beans, carrots, courgette and tomatoes, then I decided to go on holiday (camping and it rained all blooming week!), and to my horror came back to severely mildewed peas and courgettes, swede not quite so bad but still affected, runner beans had anthracnasomething and tomatoes got blight!  My question dear friends is, is this something I am doing wrong, or is it just the weather, etc.  

I am only a second year veg gardener and am getting a bit despondent about this - had visions of me having to give away veg due to the sheer abundance of it - HA jokes on me!!

Hopefully swede and leeks will do well for winter, but not holding my breath!  All remaining plot space will stay clear until spring where I shall start again!  

Lookin forward to comments xxx
I have a pair of secateurs and I'm not afraid to use them!!

GreenOwl

Poorly Veg!
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 15:57 »
Its the weather.  I was thinking this morning that it must be really hard on people new to growing veg 'cause what with last year and this year they've not had a good year to see how things can go.  Not surprised you're despondent.

We're all going to have to change the way we grow things or what we grow if summers continue like this.  :(

Christine

Poorly Veg!
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 16:16 »
My peas developed mildew overnight so it's not going on holiday that does it. I've see water running downhill down the allotment at least twice this year.

Pick the peas and pod them on the allotment, bring home in a bag and freeze instantly. That should help with the peas.

Put some green manure like winter tares on the plot where it's bare to stop the rain washing too much out of the soil. It will cover the plot if you sow it now, I dug mine in last February and then worked in compost as I planted. Produce hasn't been bad - the calabrese hasn't formed but gone to flower and the purple sprouting broccoli looks as if the problem will be the same. However, the leaves can be used as greens so all is not lost and what isn't used will go on the compost heap. At least some mistakes can go on the compost heap.  :wink:

paul meese

Bad Summer
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 16:08 »
Bad summer, but don,t let it get you down, try again,right :oops:  :D

xx
Poorly PSB

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post December 21, 2022, 14:48
by Snow
xx
Strawberry’s did poorly

Started by Marijke Jones on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 20, 2023, 13:48
by Kenilworth
xx
Poorly seedlings

Started by matron on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 24, 2009, 12:37
by DD.
xx
poorly sweetcorn

Started by andy dewar on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post May 21, 2015, 19:34
by andy dewar

Page created in 0.684 seconds with 36 queries.