How to keep cats of the plot

• 21 Replies

Ann

« on: February 04, 2007, 16:23 »
Hi

I have just dug over two areas of the garden ready for veggies and salad crops.  However, the neighbours cat have other ideas for the areas, how do you all cope with this?

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 16:42 »
Hi Ann.  Had a similar problem when I moved in.  A combination of pepper dust from the garden centre and my secret weapon, a super soaker water pistol did the trick.  Resist the temptation to fill it with anything but water :lol: and just aim near to it, though a drop of water won't do much harm.  Oh, and don't let the neighbour see
Cheese makes everything better.

supersprout

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 17:29 »
Cats love freshly dug soil. You could also use a cover of wide steel mesh (about 1.5 inch grid) until the plants are established, then mulch heavily over your soil, right up to the plants, with e.g. straw, spent hops, leaves etc. Cats might play with mulch, but will prefer to go off and find some freshly turned soil instead :roll: Some people who have e.g. pyracantha and holly prunings swear by them, piled loosely over the seedbed.

legendaryone

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 18:12 »
My gran  used dried orange peel and Oil of Olbas and she swore by it. She would sprinkle the Oil of Olbas onto used tea bags and put them on the garden, and scatter the dried orange peel.

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 18:41 »
Shoot them then they dont come back :twisted:
always have a target
and an objective.

Eristic

• Experienced Member
    • http://downtheplot.com/index.php
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 18:52 »
If we can find an acceptable solution to this problem we will all get seriously rich. There is no cure while you have a nice garden, all you can do is try to control it a bit. A nicely raked empty bit of ground between small shrubs tends to localise the problem but I've never found any of the scent methods work. We all want a clean toilet, but when you have to go, you HAVE to go. Anywhere regardless of the smell.

mercury

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2007, 18:56 »
I've got my own cat repellant, he's a border x lakeland :lol:  :lol:

Ann

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 19:08 »
Hi

Thank you all for the replies.  I think I will give the pyracantha a try first of all as we have a large one I was thinking of getting rid of.  If it doesn't work I can work my way through the other suggestions.

muntjac

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 19:20 »
free cat deterrent on most allotments available in quantity .. werks briliant for me and i have my own cats .... oh what is it ? oh nowt much just bramble cut from the ground and dragged out with gloves and layed down on the fresh dug soil  :twisted:
still alive /............

beansticks

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 20:00 »
I am with big bad frankie,shoot them.They are a blooming nuisance

jane1264

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2007, 20:40 »
Yes but they do have some good points - one of our cats is loved by the old boy who has a big veg patch just across the road from us, Why?  because since we moved in the rabbit population has pulmented because our cat has this complete and utter passion for baby rabbits.  We know when spring has come because he starts to leave bits of rabbit in the garden - he catches so many he can't eat them all!  I'm sure he wipes out one litter, has a break while they have the next, then starts on that one.  However he does only like furry things so is not interested in birds so I never manage to get any cherries off our tree in the garden - they always get there first but I don't mind 'cos I like the birds and can't complain when I feed them to encourage them into the garden anyway!

Jane

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2007, 20:51 »
Get your own preferably a tom that will stop em. But the super soaker will work, shoot em up the bum they hate that  :lol:

The good point about cats is they kill vermin and they don't bark at every bl@@dy thing.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2007, 21:36 »
Richyrich.  I wanted to say shoot them but was worried that there were a few cat lovers on the forum.  It's only water and they absolutely hate it, but no harm done.  However, they very quickly learn not to come into your garden.  Worked a treat for me. :lol:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2007, 22:20 »
Hey Ice Hockey Mad we are all entitled to our opinion, Me I love cats and dogs, just not my neighbours thing that does nothing but bark every time you walk out the back door and then they tell me they are getting another, deep joy !
But your right cats hate water and soon learn. I tell my other neighbour to chuck water at my cats if they are a pain. I think the only thing worse is finding dog poo right outside the school gates, but then that's just bad owners not the dogs fault.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2007, 22:28 »
Resisting the urge to ban certain people...

Shooting at peoples pets is not funny. I knew a really nice guy who did three years because someone shot his cat with an air rifle and he caught them.  I'd have given him a medal.

A water pistol will send off a cat with no harm done, except to his dignity. Once a cat vacates an area, another cat will take his place and occupy the territory.

Unfortunately, even if you provide a cat with easy soil or a litter tray he will still mark his area and poo is sometimes an ownership marker.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

xx
anyone found a good way of stopping cats messing on the plot (and gravel drive)

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 03, 2014, 13:29
by Aunt Sally
xx
cats

Started by alexroyall85 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 30, 2014, 21:36
by hanssg
xx
cats

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 28, 2010, 18:15
by The Norfolk Turkey
xx
Getting rid of cats!

Started by Ka_ka on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post June 02, 2008, 21:31
by Caretaker

Page created in 0.476 seconds with 36 queries.