Getting rid of cats!

• 27 Replies

Ka_ka

Getting rid of cats!
« on: May 29, 2008, 09:14 »
Hi,
Since we moved to this house we have always had cats in the garden. I hate them and they p00p everywhere.
Any suggestion at keeping them off. I'd heard of plastic bottles with water in around the garden. Suppose to spook them. Does this work?

Thanks

Gwiz

Getting rid of cats!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 09:46 »
I rather like cats, but they can be a bit of a pest in the garden. I've tried a few different methods to scare 'em off. I've found the high range water pistol to be the most effective! cats just don't lke water, and it's doesn't hurt them!
I might get myself one of those sonic guns that can be aimed at cats,dogs, deer and so on, that give off a pitch of sound that they don't like (apparently) as we still have one rather pretty looking cat that likes our pots and tubs as it's own personal toilet.(I've  not yet caught it "at it" with my water pistol...........
You can also get a device that can be fitted to your hose that will detect them as they walk past and give 'em a blast of water, might also water the garden at the same time..... :lol:

She'sinthegarden

Getting rid of cats!
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 09:56 »
I was recommended a particular type of sonic thing and it's fab. Expensive to buy (about £50 if I remember) but worth every penny. My front garden was shi**y city before I installed it. I knew it was working because after a while the poopers came back. When I changed the batteries, it was all clean again and no squished plants where they liked to sunbathe. Now I run it from a plug, which would be tricky on an allotment but you could get rechargeable batteries. A bit OTT? Not for me because even though I scrubbed my hands raw, I couldn't get the smell of cat poop from under my nails for months. :shock:
S.i.t.g.

jazzbyrd

• Experienced Member
Getting rid of cats!
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 10:08 »
Do you have anymore info on your cat scarer~ Company name etc or where you purchased it from!! It would be good to have the same one as you have given it such a good reccomendation

Jazzbyrd
Do androids dream of electric sheep?

compostqueen

Getting rid of cats!
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 10:46 »
I got next door's cat shi**ing everywhere and it gets on my wick.  Scratches all the soil out my planting holes either side the front door and then craps.  Had to resort to taking out all the plants, cept the clipped boxes and covering with chippings  :(   It now craps in my tubs, even the big uns, must have a right job climbing in and then leaving its deposit.  One determined cat  :D   I keep looking for a Supersoaker in the charity shop  :D

Rixy

Getting rid of cats!
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 11:08 »
Lion dung  :wink:
Not a complete idiot, bits of me are missing.

compostqueen

Getting rid of cats!
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 11:11 »
I reckon next door's mog is probably bigger than yer average lion. The thing is ruddy huge, hence the big deposits  :lol:

I do like cats but their habits do annoy specially as I don't have one of my own.  I think I should get one and give them a taste of their own medicine

Bitter and Twisted  8)

kezlou

Getting rid of cats!
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 11:16 »
This method works for me with my own cats and other so far.

1) Laying twigs over the place in question

2) Spraying lots of lime and lemon around(cats can't stand it) it stopped mine from going in containers full of peas and doing their business all over my house.

Hope this helps

Kerry
Who needs a guard-dog when you can have cats for guards!

fletch

• Experienced Member
Getting rid of cats!
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 11:28 »
I think I may invest in a water gun!

The only problem I have with twigs and sticks and bottles full of water is that they look an eyesore and I don't see why my garden should look a mess because of someone elses pet.

Does anyone know if those sonic devices also scare off birds, or are they only effective on mammals as I woudn't want to scare the birds off (main reason I hate cats  :evil: ).
First timer, NOT enjoying the backache anymore!

WirralWally

• Experienced Member
Getting rid of cats!
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 11:54 »
I've got two of the sonic cat-scarers (B&Q, about 30 quid each) which effectively keep cats away from my plot.
Unfortunately they don't keep birds away.
Witness the pigeon damage to my cabbages before I put netting around them.
The successes and failures of each year keep me motivated for the following year.

philskin

Getting rid of cats!
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 18:14 »
my dad god rest his soul used to put ant poison in bits off chicken and sardines ,that stopped them .But as I'm more humane or is it stupid, I just use a squeeze bottle full off water if you strong enough you can get a fair jet behind it .But I find they just come back in the dead off night and do it anyway , but there is a device that goes on your hose and detects and blasts them with water as gwiz said might have to invest in one off those before I decide to electrify the garden lol
If the early bird gets the worm how come the 2nd mouse to the trap gets the cheese ??

She'sinthegarden

Getting rid of cats!
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 22:13 »
http://www.conceptresearch.co.uk/cats.htm is the website you asked for, Jazzbyrd. They are expensive but they do work. I had tried everything (humane) else.
Just as extra info, the best way to get rid of the cat wee smell on hard surfaces is to wash/spray over with a strong solution of bicarbonate of soda. Leave a while, rinse then wipe over with a cloth soaked in surgical spirit. I had 7 cats once, though they lived in a big run so don't shoot me re the flower bed pooping!!

lincspoacher

Getting rid of cats!
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 22:57 »
In india they use coffee grounds to mop up elephant wee, what u want is a bucket of that spread around :D

peterjf

CATS
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 23:28 »
OUR NEXT DOORS CAT IS A BLACK SMITH

I THREW A POKER AT IT

IT MADE A BOLT FOR THE FENCE ,LOL

DeadlyNightshade

• Experienced Member
Getting rid of cats!
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 23:11 »
We got in some cat and dog repellent for exactly this purpose last week, I'll get the brand of it tomorrow, it looks like a gel in a squeezy bottle

No idea if it really works though

xx
help to get rid of cats!!!

Started by salmonking on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 10, 2013, 17:30
by JayG
xx
Keep the cats off

Started by Avon on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 12, 2010, 09:41
by titch
xx
cats off

Started by newseed on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 03, 2008, 08:36
by Bombers
xx
!@£$%&^%$£@! cats

Started by Munchkin on Grow Your Own

90 Replies
Last post November 11, 2010, 08:02
by Bizzi Lizzi

Page created in 0.404 seconds with 37 queries.