Worried about a molting / sick hen

• 6 Replies

emmaliddle

« on: August 23, 2008, 13:48 »
Hi

We've had 5 hens since January this year and all have been really healthy, laying well etc until recently when one of them ('Drumsticks') stopped laying and eventually got so sick we had her put down last week, the postmortem said she had Avian Leucosis which is a virus that causes neurosis and lymphatic cancer. The symptoms were nervously twitching her head, not laying, standing around motionless, tail feathers down - but quite often on the other hand seemed to be perking up now and again. The vet said it can be transferred to other hens but very rarely and usually is contracted via the mother.

Now another of the hens, 'Flares', (from a different breeder so not sharing the same mother) has not laid an egg in about 3 weeks - although she has been molting so we realise this is quite normal. However, when we checked her the other day she seems really thin and doesnt appear to be eating her layers pellets. She will eat corn and other treats we give her but wont touch the layers pellets for some reason. We've been separating her from the others and feeding her high protein food so she is at least getting some calories (sweetcorn, boiled egg, peanuts etc) but we cant do this forever and obviouslty doesnt change the fact that she's not well.

Can anyone offer any advice? Could she have caught the avian leucosis from the other bird? What else could make her go off her food? She's also jujst not herself, she's normally quite friendly and happy but seems rather subdued and uninterested.

Really quite worried about her as she's my favourite and dont want to see her go the way poor Drumsticks went.

We've also wormed them all, deloused them and also treated their house for red mites.

REally hope someone is able to help.

Thanks,

Emma.

Vember

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 14:09 »
Just had a good read through my chuck health handbook

I'm afraid what I'm reading isn't very good :(
Transmission - Contact with infested birds; spread from infected breeders through hatching eggs (main source of transmission) or by infected chicks to non infected chicks through droppings; mechanically by blood sucking parasites or un hygienic vaccination method .

Treatment - None, cull, clean up and disinfect

Really sorry Emma  :cry:

I wouldn't be too hastey though as like you say she is moulting and it does affect diffrent birds diffrently, some moult no probs with others it takes it's time and they seem depressed.

See what other folks think, that like I said is just what it says in my book, someone else might have had similar symptoms & it being something completely diffrent.

Cat food is always good to try an off colour hen with and mealworms :)

Will keep everything crossed that this is just a moulting clitch

Take Care

Sarah :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 14:25 »
The spread of infection from bird to bird is not very common.  It is mainly from infected mother to chick through the egg.  But having said that it is possible to ppass it in fresh faeces.  The virus is quickly killed in the environment and by dissinfectants.  

It is possible that your other hen may have contracted it but fairly unlikely.  Good attention to hygeine for you is now essential - Poo pick daily from their house and run and about the garden !!!!

I think she may just be moulting, keep an eye to see if new feather stumps are growing.  When mine moult I give them moist layers mash each day (I mix it with a little boiling water to a bread crumb consistancy) and I add a teaspoonful of cat food per hen for extra protein to help them grow new feathers.

I would NOT give them peanuts as they are too high in fat for chickens and can cause liver problems.

emmaliddle

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 14:35 »
Hi,

Thanks for the advice. I dont want to be too hasty in culling her since she's molting and so cant tell if the symptoms are all due to the molt or not. I will try the cat food / moist pellets thing and see how she goes. She is definitely growing feathers back as I can see feather stumps on her legs.
#
How long do hens usually molt for? She's not laid an egg for about 3 weeks and has been molting for about 2 weeks now and is still dropping feathers.

Just gave them peanuts today so wont give them any more - I read it somewhere on the internet this morning but obviously bad advice!

Also - which book is the best for hen health? I'd like to get a book but there doesnt seem to be an obvious one that Ive seen that has everything you need to know in it.

Thanks loads

Emma.

Vember

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 14:40 »
I've got a few :)

The one I found the above info in was The Chicken health Handbook by Gail Damerow.

But I aslo have Storey's guide to raising Chickens which is very good :)

That's sure good to hear what Aunt Sally said

Hope she perks up with the cat food & stuff :D

Sarah :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 14:40 »
I have Gail Damerow's book "The Chicken Health Handbook" but I find the Poultry Site very useful.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 15:07 »
Glad you got some answers :D
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

xx
Is my hen molting? Any molting info would be helpful :-)

Started by R_A_W on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 18:11
by jinty1911
xx
Molting Hen

Started by mrs bouquet on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 21, 2008, 12:44
by mrs bouquet
xx
molting...

Started by princesspoultry on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 15, 2007, 21:11
by princesspoultry
xx
Moulting / Molting??

Started by Daisyd0g on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 19, 2011, 17:15
by Sassy

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 30 queries.