Is my hen molting? Any molting info would be helpful :-)

• 2 Replies

R_A_W

• I Love My Chickens
My lovely Mildred seems to be losing her feathers!
She's not really been acting herself recently, it doesn't seem like she's ill, just a little less active and a little less interested in her food.
She started losing a couple of feathers a few days ago, and now there are feathers all over the nest box when I go to sort their bedding, and when she preens herself feathers fall out. My other hen Gertie has taken to helping her preen herself to get rid of the loose feathers!
I know that chickens do molt, so I'd just like to know why they do this, if this is what she is actually doing and what I can do to keep her at her happiest while she grows her lovely caramel coloured feathers back.
My hens are rhode island red hybrids and they are both about a year old.
Memory is a selection of images. Some illusive, others printed indelibly on the brain.

peter rooster

Re: Is my hen molting? Any molting info would be helpful :-)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 17:10 »
Hi

Mine molted in the bad weather -14 C when I went into the shed I thought a fox had got in feathers everywere. Four ost only half their feathers and did not look to bad. One (now called bauldy) lost nearly all hers and still went out into the snow everyday. She has only just got her feathers back. I was going to get a tonic/conditioner for them but they have recovered OK. Check them for mites and louce it is a good time to look with fewer feathers.

peter rooster
Is there any sound better than contented chickens rosey away, far better tha whale song!

jinty1911

Re: Is my hen molting? Any molting info would be helpful :-)
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 18:11 »
My 3 have been having a wee moult and not had an egg for 2 weeks now but they seem to be getting over it.  Protein is good with helping new feather growth.  Try giving them a treat of Tuna in Spring Water.  :D 

xx
Molting Hen

Started by mrs bouquet on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 21, 2008, 12:44
by mrs bouquet
xx
molting...

Started by princesspoultry on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 15, 2007, 21:11
by princesspoultry
xx
Could the problem be because of molting

Started by maggiemc on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 31, 2012, 20:35
by grinling
xx
Both mums molting?

Started by chuckmum on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 05, 2010, 18:30
by chloe

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 28 queries.