Carrots in baths

• 57 Replies

fluffypebble

Carrots in baths
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2007, 20:45 »
I had to read back after reading your post Muntjac, not good for the sensitive girly that I am (honest)
http://10.UploadMirror.com/uploaded/1/646/glitter_maker_03_04_2007_03_32_52_22128.gif[/img]

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
A weekend wasted is not a wasted weekend.

Trillium

Carrots in baths
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2007, 19:58 »
"
Quote from: "ytyynycefn"
I'd avoid manure, Sally - it will make your carrots go all mutanty and forked - they'll grow straighter in a less rich soil.  I don't know much, but "don't manure your carrots" has been fairly well hammered in!
"

I agree on limiting manure in the soil for carrots. At least your carrots will only fork in rich soil; mine turn into hairy things resembling werewolves with bad makeup jobs. My carrots fork only when they've run into some underground obstruction - stones, weedroots, etc. Adding sand to poor soil is a good help, and keep sifting out those stones. For raising carrots in baths, has anyone read Medwyn's articles in the NVG site? He explains how he grows his Chelsea winning carrots in oil drums and cinder block beds.

muntjac

Carrots in baths
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2007, 20:39 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
if they 6 inch or more they should be fine or ya gonna be pulling them out bendy lolo[/quote)

what hapens is the roots hit the bottom and curl up lolo.. wot are you loike :wink:  :lol:
still alive /............

Trillium

carrot beds
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2007, 16:36 »
Celtic Eagle, what sort of tub are you talking about - bath tub or foot bath? Even a bath tub would have to be topped to the rim with sandy soil to grow decent sized carrots. I like Medwyn's idea of using a raised cinder block bed over an existing bed. His are about 2 M high, but 1 M high would do for home growing - not everyone is into competition veg.

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
Carrots in baths
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2007, 14:33 »
Hi Trill

I'm using old baths as in ful size not into competion gtrowing just for eating so I recon a bath will be deep enough.  If I do decide to go to competition I've got so big deep tubs bot a metre deep could use them carrots wont fit the pan though
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

Trillium

Carrots in baths
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2007, 16:11 »
As the old saying goes, it isn't always length that counts. Your bathtub should give you good'uns. Be sure the drain hole is covered in stones, and even the bottom of the tub could use an inch layer of stone to help drainage. Carrots hate wet feet too. Add a lot of sand into the soil mix.  :D

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
Carrots in baths
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2007, 13:52 »
Well after reading all the replies I'm reckoning on 1 of stones then top up with half loam, quarter cheap growbags and quarter sharp sand should do the trick

Trillium

Carrots in baths
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2007, 01:26 »
Sounds about right, Celtic Eagle. Keep an eye on any shoulders that start showing off - pure invitation to carrot fly who can smell the orange part. I just hill mine enough to cover the shoulders and have had no carrot fly problems - just occasional mice. Amazing how high the little beasts can jump.  :x

WG.

Carrots in baths
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2007, 18:29 »
Quote from: "mercury"
i never change the soil in my baths, and i hav'nt had any trouble (yet).
For how many years please?  I like the idea of not having to repeat the hard graft year after year.

SummersVeg

Carrots in baths
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2007, 11:56 »
I'm growing carrots in an old bath this year as none germinated in my clay soil last year - working a treat this year - just wish I had another bath as I don't think they're gonna last - also must remember to plant a lot more thinly than I did this year as we're still getting baby carrots now as they don't have too much space in between them to grow! Doh! i did normal soil which had been manured the year before and then about a foot of sharp sand and sowed straight into that.. haven't bothered fleecing and no probs with carrot fly this year!

sparky

Carrots in baths
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2007, 13:17 »
Quote from: "shaun"
is this manure forking carrot thingy been scientifically proven or is it another old wives tale ?

Does manure make Parsnips and beets fork? :?

WG.

Carrots in baths
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2007, 14:09 »
Parsnips yes.  Beet are also better off without manure since it makes them coarse and woody.

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
Carrots in baths
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2007, 13:07 »
Well doesn't look good this year but then agin nowt's grown very well. Still got so root fly damage and not a big as i expected . have nother go in a bit

Thanks for all the advice

xx
Carrots in baths?

Started by skywalker on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 24, 2007, 23:04
by WG.
xx
Growing Veg in Old Baths

Started by Womble1 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 19, 2009, 09:26
by Elcie
xx
can you put autumn carrots in the same place as early carrots

Started by tooo many seeds on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 17:33
by DD.
xx
First carrots

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 09, 2010, 00:27
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.403 seconds with 37 queries.