chicken poorly/upset please help?

• 30 Replies

chickchick

« on: August 03, 2008, 14:16 »
Hi all, after all the eggcitment yesterday with the 2 eggs, ive been bought back down to earth! Our Henrietta (Bovan Nera), seems unwell. Difficult to describe so here goes... shes lethargic, and stands away from the others and stares at the wall. shes pecking around a bit but i havent seen her eat from feeder today. every now and again she shuts her eyes whilst standing up and she really isnt herself. ive emailed the place where i got her from, but thought ild get a quicker response from my mates on here! looked for red mites, nothing, hubby had a feel of her, and although we are no experts, he couldnt feel anything. could she be upset cos she hasnt laid, although i dont know who laid the 2 yesterday, but they were 2 different eggs.
im going to go and check on her again now and hope i might get some help from you guys, thanks alot, hate to see her like this. xx

poultrygeist

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 14:22 »
Hi Chicky. First of all, DON'T PANIC !!

Chickens do this sort of thing to you just for their own amusement half the time  :roll:

We've had this behaviour a few times before when soft eggs are on the way. They are more difficult to lay and cause discomfort.

There are many other possible reasons, but unless you find other symptoms, or she deteriorates or it continues tomorrow, I don't know what you can do.

Keep checking for any external reasons (mites,etc) but otherwise, I would just keep an eye on her and make sure she's eatign a little bit and drinking occasionally.

And listen to anything anyone else tells you, because I'm just repeating what I've read before !!  :)

Rob 8)

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 14:32 »
AS you know, I know nothing about chickens except what I read here (so maybe more than I think :D ) but would agree with Rob. Very occasionally my girls seem to just have off days and then are completely back to normal. Bit like us having a cold I suppose. If as Rob says, you have looked for all the obvious things and they are ok, then maybe just keep an eye on them for now.

Sending hugs to both of you.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 14:35 »
Quote from: "Kate and her Ducks"

Sending hugs to both of you.

Ah, thanks Kate.  :)

Oh, you meant Chickchick and the hen !  :roll:  :oops:

Rob :)

chickchick

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 14:36 »
thanks rob its made me feel miserable all day, have been panicking and wondering wha ive done wrong, to be honest i havent done much today other than clean them out and watch them! will keep watching i think. just found her in the hen house sitting in the corner, she still looks alert, but not chirpy like the other 2 nosey girls, they are into everything!

chickchick

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 14:38 »
thanks kate, i hate feeling so helpless and i hope shes better soon.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 14:46 »
Know how you feel CC. I had to go to work last week after waking up to find one of my girls just not herself and worried about her all day. She was a bit better in the evening but the next morning a little low again. Spent the day wondering how I was going to find an inner city Liverpool vet who knew about ducks. Came home and found her running about, doing the usual ducky things and she's been fine ever since :lol:  Phew. Think they just like throwing the lead every now and then just to check we care :?

And obviously sending big hugs to you Rob! You know that the way to a girls heart is through ducks :lol:

poultrygeist

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 15:03 »
Quote from: "Kate and her Ducks"

And obviously sending big hugs to you Rob! You know that the way to a girls heart is through ducks :lol:

And I thought it was through the purchase of kitchen utensils and domestic appliances ?  :?

Shows how much i know  :roll:

:D

Rob  8)

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 15:08 »
Quote from: "poultrygeist"
[And I thought it was through the purchase of kitchen utensils and domestic appliances ?  :?

Shows how much i know  :roll:

:D

Rob  8)

That's as antiquated as believing that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach. "Everyone knows that's aiming too high"

poultrygeist

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 15:15 »
I do like my food though !  :D

I think after nearly 21 years I must be doing something right.

Julie said the best Christmas pressies she's had for many a year was last year when I spent approx £15 on her. All stupid little things but lots of them and they made her smile.
We had no money and she was saving for the chooks. But now we've had ducks, she won't be wanting anything this Christmas !  :wink:

rob 8)

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 15:57 »
Funny how the little, thoughtful pressies are always the best :D

poultrygeist

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 16:10 »
Every time. Not that I buy any, mainly because I never have any money, but I'd like to.  :roll:

Kind of hijacked Chiky's thread here.  :oops:

Lots of positive vibes down to Guildford.  :D

Rob 8)

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 16:13 »
:oops:  :lol:

chickchick

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 16:59 »
hey i dont mind i seem to hijack too!! :oops:  for the last 3 years we have been doing stocking pressies only to max of £20 and have had some fab stuff, just goes to prove its the thought that counts and when only spending a little bit you have to really think of what to buy!
by the way no change in henrietta but ruby is making a nest in the old bonfire ashes, ive just said to hubby im sure shes going to lay an egg soon! lets wait and see. this is day 2 of letting them out of the run for a few hours. they love it! poor henri is just watching them poor lovie

poultrygeist

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2008, 17:12 »
It's amazing how delicate their systems are. They can get stressed just by getting caught in a sudden rain shower.

If you navigate your way to the front page and read all the Katie Thear articles, they explain a lot about egg production and the different problems.

Makes you appreciate what they have to go through every time.

Just been to pick up some plaster via freecycle and the couple had a dozen polands and silkies (difference?) running round the garden. About 6 weeks old I think. They plan to sell most of them on up to about £30/£40 each  :shock:

Rob 8)

xx
Chicken's with upset tummies

Started by Rubytuesday on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 08, 2010, 09:49
by Rubytuesday
xx
Poorly chicken

Started by chuckmum on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 26, 2010, 17:11
by chuckmum
xx
Poorly Chicken

Started by thechicken on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 28, 2013, 07:38
by thechicken
xx
Poorly chicken

Started by debih on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 05, 2012, 18:35
by debih

Page created in 0.292 seconds with 37 queries.