Is Violet....Victor!?

• 50 Replies

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
Is Violet....Victor!?
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2008, 13:05 »
Durham...yeah bit of a trek. Can get my hands on one from bedfordshire but even that's a 3 hour round trip!  :?

blulagoo

• Experienced Member
Is Violet....Victor!?
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2008, 14:37 »
Mickwood -try these I think they did have some  www.featheredfriends.org.uk

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
Is Violet....Victor!?
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2008, 14:43 »
Thanks Blulagoo, jut e-mailed them - fingers crossed eh!  :D

blulagoo

• Experienced Member
Is Violet....Victor!?
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2008, 14:54 »
Hi just looked on their site and then realised - they're getting married this month which is why they are probably not taking calls at the moment! Sorry

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
Is Violet....Victor!?
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2008, 10:06 »
OK...development...

I've actually seen the li'l * crow this morning!

It seems that (s)he does it as soon as she's let out in the morning

It doesn't seem 'natural' to the untrained ear (mine!) it looks and sounds like it's forced and doesn't sound 'quite right' - almost like an imitation...or is that me trying to convince myself she is actually a girl!  :lol:

(S)he won't seem to do it when I'm out in the garden (I watched from the lean to) - do you think this has something to do with pecking order?

I think, well more like hope, from this info that she feels like top dog when I'm not there so imitates the call in a cockerels absence but when I'm there she thinks of me as the cock (as many many people do!  :lol: ) so doesn't feel the need to do it?

Also been trying to work out how old she actually is and I believe she could even be 24 weeks! Surely she'd look like a cockerel by now, if she was a cockerel!?

are those there straws I'm grasping??  :roll:

blulagoo

• Experienced Member
Is Violet....Victor!?
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2008, 13:16 »
my cockerel took a couple of weeks to perfect his crowing - and now does it full voulume 30 times a day.

What are the feathers like around her neck - if you look at the pics on Porffors posting you can see the difference in the male feathers - they are all skinny and pointy around the neck and I think this is a trait in most breeds.

I still think she looks like a she in that picture though!

Porffor

Is Violet....Victor!?
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2008, 14:52 »
Wish i'd got some better pics now but i can vouch for having owned a cock if only for a few hours before bed and again in the morning! lol

Strutter (that's what i called him - well he has to have a name even if he went home), opened his wings when he crowed, lifted his head high and almost tip-toed.. like a horse showing off or something honestly! lol
His owner is adamant he hadn't crowed at home but as she owns other cockerals she said perhaps he wasn't allowed to.

Am hoping beyond hope that my other one is a girl, but the neck feathers do look longer than my other girls, so we'll see if it's a breed difference or a cockerel thing soon enough i guess.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Is Violet....Victor!?
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2008, 15:03 »
Our latest Amberlinks are only 6 weeks old, but I can see that we have 3 cockerals in there, becuase just like last time, their combs are so much bigger!  I know you can't always tell, but I'm still convinced you've got a Violet!!!  Wish I could have her if she's a him, as (s)he is so pretty!!!!

PJM

Cockerel
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2008, 20:27 »
Oh dear Mick, sorry about that. I had the same problem with my Banties, my favourite one grew into a handsome but very loud young man, and I am surrounded by neighbours in close proximity too. :?

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
Is Violet....Victor!?
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2008, 20:38 »
Not only a pretty one Annie but hilarious! (s)he'll happily eat from your hand, sit on your lap and even on my head! If she's as old as the guy who sold me said (s)he is then I'm pretty sure that's it's a Violet! (Because it'll make her about 24 weeks?)

Finger's crossed! Think this thread explains why i'm so Anxious for her to lay her first egg!!!  :roll:

Porffor

Is Violet....Victor!?
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2008, 21:01 »
fingers x'd it come soon she is truly lovely. :)

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
Is Violet....Victor!?
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2008, 09:58 »
I finally managed to catch him/her on video this morning!!

Take a quick look - what do you think?

8f6FFi2n5ac

Ta! XXX

Foxy

Is Violet....Victor!?
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2008, 10:17 »
Well thats odd,sounds like a young boys first crow  :shock: -but at 24 weeks would have thought a proper crow by now not that. I have to say still looks a bit like a girl.....I have a lavender pekin cockerel so will take dig out a piccie of him.

Vember

Is Violet....Victor!?
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2008, 10:20 »
Mick have you had a look on here???

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Cochins/BRKCochinBty.html

About half way down the page is a lavender Pekin, notice how pointy the feathers are round the neck.

Lovein your Vioicter and the cockadoodledooo don't sound quite right to me (but I've never had pekin cock :shock: :oops:  , only sussex)

My Gut lookin at that picture and lookin at yours I'd say yours is a lady, but hey that's just my opinion :)

Foxy

Is Violet....Victor!?
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2008, 10:21 »
heres Priscilla, queen of the desert.... you can see the pointy neck hackle feathers and large wattle and comb they develop very early.

xx
Bob and Violet!

Started by chickenlady on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 08:24
by chickenlady
xx
Is my Vorwerk a Victor or Victoria?

Started by Consolsbob on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 07, 2008, 08:32
by Consolsbob
xx
Um, gentian violet - does it ever come off?

Started by AmandaH on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post July 05, 2010, 23:24
by henamoured
xx
Gentian Violet - Purple spray

Started by Spacey on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 26, 2009, 09:05
by Debz

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 37 queries.