Is Violet....Victor!?

• 50 Replies

too many girls

Is Violet....Victor!?
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 19:03 »
don't lose hope yet, i would keep her/him a bit longer to be sure, i've got a cockerel with no crow but he clucks just like a hen!

Jellyhead

Is Violet....Victor!?
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 19:33 »
she doesnt look very cocky to me either. Would be good if there had been a cockle doodle do or dont tho just to help :roll:  :roll: I would hang on and wait. I have a silkie that looks like a cockerel which isnt making a noise, going by mens logic it must be a male :roll:  :?:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

NormandyMary

Is Violet....Victor!?
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 19:47 »
I hope she is a she. What a beautiful little chicken. I know Id never part with "it".
Good Luck!

Porffor

Is Violet....Victor!?
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2008, 20:15 »
very pretty chicken (or handsome as it may transpire)
When I bought my POL hens I had to make sure that we didn't end up with a cockerel as we're not allowed them (as in in a residential street).
the agreement was that if they were cocks then they could go back in exchange for another hen.

hope you don't have to go down this route though.

blulagoo

• Experienced Member
Is Violet....Victor!?
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2008, 21:23 »
I think it looks like a she - but only time will tell. I have a 'she' that is a bit butch - the cockerel I have got has really got it in for her - pecking at her all the time. Then again he is on borrowed time at the moment! He is also VERY loud - RIR cross.

jonandjen16

Is Violet....Victor!?
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2008, 21:49 »
we have one that looks exactly the same that tried to crow this morn

oh no!!!!!!!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Is Violet....Victor!?
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2008, 23:12 »
I'd say hen!  One of our Babcocks at nearly 17 weeks has a larger comb than the other girls, but that one of yours Mick just doesn't have the cockerel stance!

The way she walks is defo not cockerally!!!!!!  Hang on a bit longer!  She's very pretty!

Foxy

Is Violet....Victor!?
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2008, 23:38 »
thats a lavender pekin pullet.,I wouldn't be too concerned that she is not laying yet -could take 23 -25 weeks anyway  :lol:

Daisycow

Is Violet....Victor!?
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2008, 09:26 »
If it helps, I had doubts about one of my millefluer pekins and after double checking, she is a she  :D  !! Apparently it is very easy to tell at a young age with pekins...yesterday we saw some 5 week old pekin chicks, just by looking it was so obvious who was a cock and who was a hen, and I have never sexed chicks before!! The cocks had red combs and large-ish red wattles already, the hen had no wattles and a tiny, pink comb!!
So, in my limited experience Violet is definitely Violet!  :D  As foxy said, it can take them a while to lay the first egg. And I would also guess (having not owned a pekin cockerel before) if it were a Victor, it would have very thin pointed feathers on the tail and neck by now...in your pic, she hasnt!
But (as said, I have never sexed them before) if she is a he, we had the same (with a brahma, apparently difficult to sex until older), s/he started crowing one afternoon, the neighbour then informed us he'd done it all morning too  :shock:  !! So we phoned the supplier who took him back and gave us hen with no charge.  :D
Woah, that was a bit long, sorry!  :roll:

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
Is Violet....Victor!?
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2008, 10:36 »
Quote from: "WR1"
Dont know if this will help but iv heard that hens do do a COCK-ADOODLE-DOO because they are the boss and if there is no cockerel about they do it on his behalf !! Sounds wierd I know but it true my friend has seen it lay and then come out and cock-adoodle-doo!!!!

Well, that was my faint glimmer of hope! I was hoping that was the case as Violet is the top hen!

Anyine else heard of this phenomonen?.....please..... :?

WR1

• Experienced Member
Is Violet....Victor!?
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2008, 11:47 »
Hope I am rite :D (not that i like being rite :oops: ) because then you can keep Violet and all will be happy !!

Has the other started laying eggs because if the others have layed eggs and not her then she could be a cockerel !?!

From

Catii
What came first the chicken or the egg ???

What do you put in the toaster ?

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
Is Violet....Victor!?
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2008, 12:03 »
No, no eggs from anyone yet. The Silkie is about 3 weeks younger than the pekin.

Thanks for all the advice/opinions though guys, Fingers crossed that Violet turns out to be a girl....  :roll:

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Is Violet....Victor!?
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2008, 12:13 »
he/she is beautiful no matter what!

I have the opposite problem... Patrick, my new Buff Orp male only makes noises like a hen  - he's 30 weeks old and deffo looks like a cockerel (pics to follow) but only makes the kind of noises that my girls make  :shock:

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
Is Violet....Victor!?
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2008, 12:20 »
Oh don't get me started on Buff Orps! STILL looking for a bantam pullet....ooh this chicken keeping business...it's all too much! :lol:

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Is Violet....Victor!?
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2008, 12:29 »
one of our plotholders got one the other day - I'll ask him where from, but I'm up in Durham which is a bit of a trek for you

xx
Bob and Violet!

Started by chickenlady on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 08:24
by chickenlady
xx
Is my Vorwerk a Victor or Victoria?

Started by Consolsbob on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 07, 2008, 08:32
by Consolsbob
xx
Um, gentian violet - does it ever come off?

Started by AmandaH on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post July 05, 2010, 23:24
by henamoured
xx
Gentian Violet - Purple spray

Started by Spacey on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 26, 2009, 09:05
by Debz

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 29 queries.