Friend or foe ?

• 16 Replies

ColinGrigson

Friend or foe ?
« on: July 16, 2008, 14:54 »
Hello again freindly and helpful people , I have lots of insects on all of my veg , they are about the size of a baby ladybird and instead of the red and black of the ladybird these are predominantly yellow but with the same little black spots . Usually I find them two together one on top of the other having a little wrestle I think  :shock: . Should I be worried by their appearence or are they harmless ... please set my mind at ease  :)

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Friend or foe ?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 15:20 »
Any chance of a picture? You may have different bugs over there were not used to seeing here.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

jennyb

• Hiding in the Greenhouse
    • My Blog
Friend or foe ?
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 15:22 »

gobs

Friend or foe ?
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 18:04 »
That link doesn't work for me, but ladybirds do come in a lot of shapes, patterns and colours.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

jennyb

• Hiding in the Greenhouse
    • My Blog
Friend or foe ?
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 18:19 »
plenty of different ladybirds here:

http://www.harlequin-survey.org/downloads/Ladybird%20descriptions_Info%20pack_NEW_v.5.pdf

i didn't know there were this many tho!

woodburner

Friend or foe ?
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 18:33 »
Harlequin ladybirds are a pest, they eat beneficial insects as well as bad ones. The only ladybird I've seen this year was one of them, so it went under my boot in double quick time. The big giveaway is the white patches on the side of their heads, seems all the variations have that.
Edit:
Ooh the two spot has white blobs too, looks like we need to count spots as well ;)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
Friend or foe ?
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 20:09 »
Quote from: "woodburner"
Harlequin ladybirds are a pest, they eat beneficial insects as well as bad ones. The only ladybird I've seen this year was one of them, so it went under my boot in double quick time.

It has recently been said that there was not enough evidence to support mass culling of these, they are stiill sitting on the fence. Cant remember which program it was but it was recent, they said not to kill them now.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Friend or foe ?
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 20:18 »
There are so many of them that killing a few that you find under your boot will make absolutely no difference.  Current advice is not to bother.

Vienna Phil

Friend or foe ?
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 21:51 »
Hi Colin,

No sign of these little beasts in Vienna! Maybe their former communists? javascript:emoticon(':D')

Phil :D
"What I say is that, if a man really likes potatoes,
he must be a pretty decent sort of fellow."
A.A. Milne

Vienna Phil

Friend or foe ?
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 22:00 »
That should of course be 'Maybe they're former communists'. Considering I am a university lecturer in English, that is more than a bit embarrassing.[/I] :roll:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Friend or foe ?
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 22:34 »
It's all about communicating Phil, not good use of English !

If we understand you the message has got through.

Aunty uses ipmeaccble English of cause  :wink:

hecateh

Friend or foe ?
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 11:56 »
Quote from: "Aidy"
Harlequin ladybirds are a pest, they eat beneficial insects as well as bad ones. The only ladybird I've seen this year was one of them, so it went under my boot in double quick time.

It has recently been said that there was not enough evidence to support mass culling of these, they are stiill sitting on the fence. Cant remember which program it was but it was recent, they said not to kill them now.

:D  :D  So long as they are sitting on the fence they won't do your plants much harm.  :lol:
Helen x

ColinGrigson

Friend or foe ?
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 12:11 »
Thank you all for taking the time to reply , it seems they're nothing to get worried about .

Phil I think it's the red ones that are communist .  :wink:

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
Friend or foe ?
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 14:51 »
Quote from: "hecateh"
Quote from: "Aidy"

:D  :D  So long as they are sitting on the fence they won't do your plants much harm.  :lol:

After I wrote that I thought mmm wrong, however I thought I would see just how long it took for someone to reply, 3hrs+ is pretty slow.

Trillium

Friend or foe ?
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 15:31 »
Perhaps peeps were waiting for some to land in their gardens before they replied  :wink:  :lol:

xx
Friend or foe?

Started by banf77 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 17, 2014, 09:45
by banf77
xx
friend or foe?

Started by paintedlady on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 07, 2008, 12:00
by paintedlady
clip
Friend or Foe?

Started by weirdsowing on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 23, 2014, 23:46
by Ma Lowe
clip
Friend or foe?

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 14, 2023, 14:45
by jaydig

Page created in 0.465 seconds with 37 queries.