Electric fencing ?

• 15 Replies

Bodger

Electric fencing ?
« on: July 16, 2008, 09:53 »
My turn for a poultry question. :D

Does it work ? I've used single strand wire for cattle, horses and pigs but never the mesh poultry fencing.

I would have thought that once the birds get a zap, they simply fly over it. I know that chickens are as thick as two short planks of course but has anyone tried it ?

I was thinking of this .

http://www.ukcountrystore.co.uk/a...reen-Poultry-Chicken-Netting.html

I've about a dozen POL none flying type birds that I'd like to confine in a run.

CMFAM

• Experienced Member
Electric fencing ?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 10:17 »
we found it worked for us, initially we had to clip there one wing to stop them from flying over, now they don't bother and stay withing there fenced off area :)  :)

si-mate

• Experienced Member
Electric fencing ?
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 11:15 »
Works fine. You'll need a fairly hefty 12v or mains fencer as it takes a lot of powering.

Bodger

Electric fencing ?
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 11:36 »
We have a mains fencing unit so that should be fine. I've seen some commercial free range units from the car as I've been driving around the country, but have never worked out quite what stops the birds from hopping over the fence. :roll:

rainie

Electric fencing ?
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 14:05 »
My friends chickens had 7acres to roam in until the fox came. Now she pens them up using a portable electric sheep fencing, wired properly to the mains The square holes are too big and the chickens walk through them so friend did it double and it slowed them down, unfortunately one walked through it and walked up to my dog who killed it. But the others never try to leave the run now and are happy content chucks.
Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else.

Foxy

Electric fencing ?
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 17:55 »
Hi Bodger, I use electric fencing and the chickens dont normally want to fly over maybe they have enough rooom and dont want too!

Although Biggins got overexcited and flew over today when he saw Betty taking a break from sitting on her eggs!  :oops:  :oops:  I had to be very firm with him and explain when a lady says no she means no!!!! :lol:

karlooben

Electric fencing ?
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 20:00 »
as and when i can afford it i am possibly going to use electric fencing as well, but a person who has a plot next to me on the allotment site has massive cb radio tpye antennas in his garden an these are about 200 yards from my plot where the birds will  be kept and he reckons this will interfer with the receptoin so hes totally agaisnt  me using it but i do have the all clear from the council to use fencing , has anyone here heard of electric fencing interfering with antennas an the reception as i certain have not and i have used it many times over the years with the horses.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Runnerbean

Electric fencing ?
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 20:04 »
Hi,  I have just been given a poultry plot on my allotment site, and am looking at ways to secure it.
We do have a fox problem, in the last two weeks my neighbour has had 33 of his girls killed, the only survivor being the poorly one in isolation in his shed. :(  :(  :(
I am considering using electric fencing, not to keep the chickens in but to keep Mr Fox out.  My plan is to have a 7 foot chickenwire fence with the electric fence just outside of this, so the electric one will be the first thing the fox will encounter if he tries anything.
Does anyone know if this will work?  The cost is a bit high to just try it and see, i would rather spend the money on the girls, but stopping this fox is a major priority before i get some. I would be just as devastated as my neighbour is if the same thing happened to me.
Any advice would be most welcome.
Finally got the space, now just nead the girls!!

karlooben

Electric fencing ?
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 20:49 »
hi runnerbean , like me u seem new to this .

well last week i went to see a farmer freind of mine to see how he keeps his ckickens and get ideas , he has a massive garden surrounded by ideal fox terroirty i'e big garden stone walls , trees , bushes etc all this perfect for the fox to live in and although the farmer has dogs running in the garden a lot of the time his birds are only kept behind electric fencing an none have never been taken or killed by a fox so yeh i suppose it does work, i will be using it but not until i can afford it , my run is already going to cost me around £300 in total .

Runnerbean

Electric fencing ?
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 21:21 »
That is what i wanted to hear!
I have 'inherited' a perimiter fence that needs a bit of work but shouldn't cost too much to bring up to my standard (i hope!!)  So as long as this works i will go for the electric fence. I am determined that bl***y fox isn't going to get into my enclosure!!!

Foxy

Electric fencing ?
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 22:27 »
Quote from: "karlooben"
as and when i can afford it i am possibly going to use electric fencing as well, but a person who has a plot next to me on the allotment site has massive cb radio tpye antennas in his garden an these are about 200 yards from my plot where the birds will  be kept and he reckons this will interfer with the receptoin so hes totally agaisnt  me using it but i do have the all clear from the council to use fencing , has anyone here heard of electric fencing interfering with antennas an the reception as i certain have not and i have used it many times over the years with the horses.

My OH doesn't seem to think so as they are 200yds away and if the council are Ok about it he says tough luck! :lol:

Boxfanman

• Experienced Member
Electric fencing ?
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 23:36 »
Sad person using CB buy him a mobile phone.

Shouldn't interfere until something is having a shock of the fencing... Hopefully not going to that often...

si-mate

• Experienced Member
Electric fencing ?
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 08:21 »
Used correctly electric poultry netting is second only to a weldmesh / chainlink enclosure that is 8' high and dug 18 inches into the ground.

If you within 100m of a powerpoint use a mains energiser with battery backup. If not then you'll need to get a decent 12v fencer and buy two leisure batteries so that you have a spare when the other is charging.

I would say that for a 50m length of netting, good quality energiser, battery and charger for the battery you will be looking between 300 - 400 pounds.

Clodbuster

Electric fencing ?
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 14:31 »

If he is receiving on short wave and you have a fault, he will get interference. One of the techniques of fault finding is to have a SW radio off-station and walk along the fence. As you get closer to the fault it begins to click getting louder as you get closer.

http://www.agrisellex.co.uk/x1711.html

Roughlee Handled

Electric fencing ?
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 14:40 »
Fantastic trick with the short wave radio.  But I thought it was used to keep chickens in and foxes out.  Emphasise on the foxes out.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

xx
electric fencing

Started by chuckmum on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 15, 2010, 21:38
by lucylou
xx
A run Vs electric fencing

Started by vicky_b on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 22, 2010, 09:06
by Sassy
xx
electric fencing

Started by chickerun on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post September 22, 2009, 20:55
by Chookster
xx
electric fencing

Started by hermon on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post February 18, 2008, 20:30
by Lost in France

Page created in 0.246 seconds with 37 queries.