Sex Change in Call Ducks

• 43 Replies

KJ

Sex Change in Call Ducks
« on: July 14, 2008, 20:51 »
Dear all

a bizarre thing is happening in my flock. we've got 3 female white call ducks, approx 18months old, and one male. they have been mating all the time and laying eggs until about a month ago...  :D

now it looks like they are all changing sex at once. the male is turning white (formally standard mallard colours) and the white females are slowing turning dark (green on necks and tail feathers).   :shock:

Does anyone have experience of this? My book says it can happen, but I'm shocked to see all 4 changing at once!

Kate
Kate J, East Devon

Kate and her Ducks

Sex Change in Call Ducks
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 20:56 »
I have read something about gender changes in poultry (but now can't find where). Don't think it is ever more than secondary sexual characteristics (ie feather colouring and crowing etc), its not like they can lay or fertilise eggs (the wrong way round if that makes sense). Entirely unhelpful but I ahve heard of it too. Again seems weird that they are all doing it at the same time. Any toxic waste dumps nearby? Feeding them the pill?
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

agapanthus

Sex Change in Call Ducks
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 21:24 »
I once had a pullet change sex!!!!....most bizarre!!!! :?

Kate and her Ducks

Sex Change in Call Ducks
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 21:27 »
The question is how do I make my drakelets change into Ducks :D ?

too many girls

Sex Change in Call Ducks
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 21:54 »
are you lot having a giggle? sex change ducks and pullets? does this mean in the morning i may wake up as a man? wouldn't mind having a penis for one day,  just one day to see what it was like!

Kate and her Ducks

Sex Change in Call Ducks
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 22:01 »
Really? Would it not just be like having a prolapse having your bits hanging on the outside? Sure it's OK if you're used to it but I'm not sure I would want to try :shock:

too many girls

Sex Change in Call Ducks
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 22:03 »
yeah but Kate , i could fiddle with all day like men do, i'd just like to find out what it's all about.....

Chookaholic

• Experienced Member
Sex Change in Call Ducks
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 22:05 »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol: My OH thinks you're mad!!You lot are such a giggle :lol:  :lol: I have laughed sooo much on this forum 2nite!love ya all!!
Queenie - Bella - Mabel - Clara

Kate and her Ducks

Sex Change in Call Ducks
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 22:06 »
True but then have you heard men talk about how little they would get done if they had breasts :lol: . Guess we all want what we don't have (even for a little while) :wink:

nettynoodles1

• Experienced Member
Sex Change in Call Ducks
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 22:47 »
pmsl this is soo funny. I would never want to be a man.nothing would get done in my house lol.
I must say tho i have never heard of sex change in animals (only in pple who take medication/go under the knife) you live and learn.

Kate and her Ducks

Sex Change in Call Ducks
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 22:51 »
Don't even get me started on the first "man" to give birth last week!!!! Having a mastectomy and so hormones does not make you a man, especially if you are going to keep your uterus and ovaries and more to the point use them!!!!!

FCG

Sex Change in Call Ducks
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 23:05 »
Crumbs, i'll have to stick up for the men here. Then duck for cover.

If men where turned into women, nobody would be able to drive anywhere  :lol: !

(running for the hills)

nettynoodles1

• Experienced Member
Sex Change in Call Ducks
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 23:08 »
run faster  go gogogo your gonna get shot for that lol. I'll have you know I did a rally day at Mallory Park race track and there was me and 1 other woman and we beat the men hands down they were all toooooooo big headed thinking they could drive and ballsed up big time hahahahah iwas 2nd the other woman beat me by half a mark.

you still running?

Kate and her Ducks

Sex Change in Call Ducks
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 06:56 »
:lol:
Have to confess I'm not a g :lol: reat driver but I did beat most of the men when we went clay pigeon shooting (more incentive to keep running :twisted: ).

Have to say wasn't trying to be anti-men, or anti-transgender but pseudoscience, twaddle sewnsational reporting winds me up. There is nothing special about a genetically, reproductively anatomical female giving birth to a child, whatever her/his lifestyle choices. How messed up the child will be with the three ring circus that began even before it was born is another matter!

Phew! Rant over :oops:  (well unless someone sets me off again)

Roughlee Handled

Sex Change in Call Ducks
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 09:06 »
Quote from: "Kate and her Ducks"
True but then have you heard men talk about how little they would get done if they had breasts :lol: . Guess we all want what we don't have (even for a little while) :wink:

Apparently I already do have breasts. The missus keeps telling me that soon be bigger than hers.  She keeps saying something about female hormones in beer.  Is that why when you are drunk you drive like a woman? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

xx
help with Call Ducks

Started by The Flock Master on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 13, 2012, 13:41
by The Flock Master
xx
Call Ducks

Started by Country Bill on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 24, 2009, 15:58
by Country Bill
xx
call ducks

Started by Thompson24 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post May 31, 2009, 10:49
by Thompson24
xx
Call Ducks

Started by mother hen on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 19, 2008, 10:44
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 30 queries.