Opening and shutting Hen Coop

• 9 Replies

Boxfanman

• Experienced Member
« on: July 15, 2008, 21:59 »
What time should I be opening the Hen House, and what time should I be shutting them up at night?

I just went to lock them in and the were still busy scoffing some Kiwi fruits I threw in earlier...

Fire2920

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 22:18 »
Im opening up as soon as i can normaly about 7ish they come out im a rush as if they've been on starters orders. They are locked up about 9ish, just as it's starting to get dark.

They are being a bit of a nightmare to lock up since they've got the luxury of a auto feeder  :cry:
??? I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous... ???

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 22:22 »
Mine go to bed when they feel like it as it gets dark, and I just go down and shut the popholes up.  4 mornings a week Brian lets them out at 6am, the other three mornings we have a little lie in so they have to wait until 7 or 8am!

mumsy

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 22:23 »
It depends on what time I wake up, could be anywhere between 5 & 7.30, but no later..........(always go back to bed with a cuppa :wink: ) Mine like to go to bed early, around 8.30 then I go & shut them up about 9 :lol:  I don't have to wait up for them like I did the kids :lol:  :lol:

poultrygeist

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 22:29 »
For us it's alarm at 6am, out in jim-jams to open up, back to bed (sometimes) and they are wandering in to bed at about 9.40pm or a bit earlier if it's overcast.

The routine needs to suit your lifestyle but take into account their natural desire to maximise on daylight hours. The longer you give them, the more they eat and relax to make eggs and have a great life.

Rob  :)

Boxfanman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 22:32 »
I went over at 10 and they were all hidden away and shut them in, I was going to leave the pophole open so they could roam in and out at will, but frightened that a fox or stoat etc may get in. I'm taking heed after reading some of your horror stories.

poultrygeist

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 22:35 »
Important to lock them in at night. Peace of mind for you and 99% safety for them.

Rob  :)

FCG

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 23:09 »
Mine get let out at 6-7am and go in whenever they like. I have a bright streetlight 4-5 feet from the end of my garden so I've seen them stay out later recently. I'm tempted to buy some cheap solar garden lights to attract moths and flies during twilight.

too many girls

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 10:33 »
i let mine out at 8 am, i have to open the door then stand behind it to avoid the stampede, they're * for going to bed tho, still messing around outside the door a 10pm, i have a night vision camera trained on the henhouse that's linked to my bedroom tv, as soon as i think most of them are in i bolt outside to do a head count and lock them up, i then sit and watch the hen house for foxes, it's a bit like watching big brother when they're all asleep,( for gods sake will somebody move or something) actually it's a bit like big brother altogether, same squabbles and fights and who's eaten all the food, drunk the last of the coffee or smoked the last ciggaret....................

compostqueen

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 10:39 »
:D  :D

xx
Shutting Hens Away

Started by chasechicken on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post April 28, 2009, 22:32
by bluemaran
xx
shutting hens in for the night

Started by SJB on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post April 17, 2009, 17:15
by cathangirl
xx
opening hours?

Started by spud on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 15, 2012, 12:30
by Beano
xx
Pop-hole opening

Started by Bagpuss on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 07, 2007, 12:34
by Fat Hen

Page created in 0.735 seconds with 37 queries.