Live fox trap

• 22 Replies

too many girls

Live fox trap
« on: July 06, 2008, 19:07 »
Does anyone have any experience with live fox traps? we haven't had any sucess shooting the fox that took over 30 of my birds in one go, ( shooting a fox is a lot harder than people think) he's far too quick and only comes out after dark so visability is zero, he seems to know exactly where we all are at any time, the local gamekeeper has lent us a larson trap with the idea that we put live chickens in as bait and lie in wait for him, but he's outwitted us on that too, my dad is now in the process of making a trap out of a large dog kennel (dog's never been in it, the very idea!)  chickens in a cage at the back of the kennel, fox enters, stands on the treadle and triggers the spring that will snap the door shut behind him, Bingo we get our fox, i've been told that it would work on a city fox as they are used to rummaging in wheely bins ect but a country fox is a different matter, getting desperate now, :cry:  will it work? and if not anyone got any ideas? my girls are sick of being under house arrest, but i daren't let them out untill the fox is well and truly gone. hope someone can help, thank you, Rom

poultrygeist

Live fox trap
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 20:00 »
RSPCA might be able to advise. They must do it for injured or sick ones.

Or tell them it looked rabid and they might come out and round it up for you !!

Rob  8)

too many girls

Live fox trap
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 02:33 »
just come back from fox watch,  went out to check my chickens as i've put 7 back in the hen house, (still under hen house arrest instead of stable) casper was barking in the wood so i went to investigate, i must have been stood by the wood for a full 5 minutes before i saw him (the fox) he was watching me, of course i didn't have anything useful with me like a gun and  i could hardly shoot him with a torch, but he didn't half give me the heebiegeebies, he just stared at me for what was probably a few seconds but seemed the longest time, the arrogance of him, he kills half my birds and wants to play peek a boo, if i'd had a gun he probably would have scarpered long before i saw him, he's that clever, i couldn't have had a pop at him anyway, although he was in a clearing i couldn't see behind him for the dog, cats or anyone in the wood that shouldn't be there, we never shoot in the wood for that reason ( bet the little b*****d knows that as well, watch out Raynard your day's are numbered.............. tired now, going to bed, nite

Bodger

Live fox trap
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 06:01 »
I've caught numerous foxes out here in the countryside, they do work, especially at this time of the year when there are a lot of large cubs about.
If you need any hints or tips on using them, let me know. I even have the plans for making one yourself somewhere.

blossom1044

Live fox trap
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 10:53 »
This morning whilst driving to work a fox sauntered onto road and watched me.  It sat by the side of the road and kind of grinned.  It was on its way to the farm for probably the chickens!  grr

DH saw one just outside of the garden last night and he was miffed because he didn't have his gun.  The dogs were barking at and the fox just stood there staring and eyeing DH and Dogs up.  Dogs were going mad as they couldn't get through fence to chase it!  Our cocker spaniel sat and howled for at least 30 minutes afterwards.  I just know the fox was looking for the chooks who thankfully were in their pen!
new to hens
Thanks
T

Skip

• Experienced Member
Live fox trap
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 11:09 »
The best advice I can give from Down Under is to throw a towel over the plate in the fox trap.  This will fool even the most cunning fox!  As they can no longer see the plate they will more readily step on it and whammo!  He's a gonna, as we say Down Under! Try it and see what results it brings!  :)
Skip, in Oz

kenny d

kenny hates foxes
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 14:05 »
round here they use snares , on the run the fox uses into the garden , works well , then shoot it , no more waiting up he,he, :lol:

pepsi100

Live fox trap
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 18:47 »
Came home today, all my birds are dead, fox got in killed them all, just took the heads though

NOW its war,

I have ordered 1 trap, I am taking it to work and will be making several copies, any foxes I catch will be in dustbin heaven very quickly

My old ladies didnt ask for that, they were old timers, rescue birds, they were in (what I thought) was a safe run, but the fox found a loose part of the run (5 foot up) and got in and out there, didnt take any or even eat them, just the heads, poor * didnt have a chance

I'm gutted (God knows what will happen when my grand daughter finds out that the old girls have gone and there's no one to feed any more)
It's all about the journey, not the destination

too many girls

Live fox trap
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 19:03 »
must admit we didn't have any joy with the live fox trap, it wasn't till the fox got several local farmers birds (in broad daylight, same as me) that they sent out a posse, 7 shot in 2 weeks, since then i haven't had any fox problems, i will never be complacent again, hope you get yours and soon, re grandaughter, patch up the whole and get some new birds asap, i know it's not the same, but i think it will soften the blow, maybe she could help choose them? so sorry for you.

pepsi100

Live fox trap
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 19:21 »
Thats going to be hard, 2 of the old English, she hatched out from eggs, she turned them everyday, she watched them hatch out, sat up all night watching them, then gave them a bed time story for the first month

Only had 9 birds, 6 rescue birds, 2 old english and one little frizzle (bout the size of a pigeon)

The old English were like two old ladies when she came over, they couldnt get enough of her, they'd fuss all over her and liked to just sit next her rosey away, wether she had food or not

Jezz I hate foxes

agapanthus

Live fox trap
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 19:48 »
I'm so sorry pepsi:( Your poor granddaughter:( Just biting the heads off and leaving them is the thing I don't understand :?  :(  :(

pepsi100

Live fox trap
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 20:23 »
Quote from: "agapanthus"
I'm so sorry pepsi:( Your poor granddaughter:( Just biting the heads off and leaving them is the thing I don't understand :?  :(  :(

neither did I, but after browsing google, it happens quite a bit if they dont eat them, cant find 3 of the old girls though, had a look around, found lots of feathers behind the garages though :?

She was coming over with lettuce for them tomorrow (Sat) but I've put her off, this time, going to my mates and try to 'borrow' a couple from him, but I dont think its going to fool her (you know how observant kids are at 6 years old)

Big Jen

Live fox trap
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 20:29 »
Really sorry for your loss Pepsi  :cry:

This is what happened to my silkies when I used to keep chickens before, the B*****D killed them all. Heartbreaking and it made me give up breeding and showing. A few years have passed and I have chickens again but the constant worry of foxes continues.

Something to try- it worked for us previously.

Shoot a pigeon and peg it down to the ground in the open. Get yourself comfy on a chair out of sight, with your gun and just wait. It will come for the pigeon and Bingo, one fox despatched.

BJ
There are three signs of old age. The first is your loss of memory, the other two I forget.

pepsi100

Live fox trap
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 20:39 »
Quote from: "Big Jen"
Really sorry for your loss Pepsi  :cry:

This is what happened to my silkies when I used to keep chickens before, the B*****D killed them all. Heartbreaking and it made me give up breeding and showing. A few years have passed and I have chickens again but the constant worry of foxes continues.

Something to try- it worked for us previously.

Shoot a pigeon and peg it down to the ground in the open. Get yourself comfy on a chair out of sight, with your gun and just wait. It will come for the pigeon and Bingo, one fox despatched.

BJ

YOU have been listening in to my conversation with my missus,  :)

I was thinking of doing this tomorrow, and I've been reading up on habits of foxes, they generally come back to 'clean up'

I've kept the worst looking body and rigged the run so the door will close IF the body is taken, and as the door only opens inwards, the chances of anything thinking of pulling it are slim, but in case I've rigged it so there is a deadfall to stop that, MAYBE I'll have the culprit tomorrow

WoodyK

Live fox trap
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 21:22 »
So sorry for you Pepsi

I've only had chickens for 2 months and not had a fox issue but i used to keep ducks and had major fox problems. in the end i just gave up.

What i couldn't deal with is the fact that is wasn't a vixen just taking one to feed her cubs, it would just come and slaughter the lot and leave the bodies.

xx
Fly Trap

Started by Flowerpower136 on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post August 01, 2009, 16:50
by janet12000
clip
fly trap

Started by Mrs Bee on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 14, 2013, 13:22
by ANHBUC
xx
i have got a trap for rat

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post December 20, 2008, 20:40
by karlooben
xx
Fox Trap.

Started by pennsylvania planters on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 02, 2009, 08:33
by cathangirl

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 36 queries.