Tomatos not fruiting

• 7 Replies

Patricia

• Experienced Member
    • My Garden blog
Tomatos not fruiting
« on: June 26, 2008, 09:36 »
Hi I have just registered, but have been reading the forum for some time. Great tips everyone.
I seem to be having an unusual for me problem this year and not sure what I have done wrong or am I just being impatient.
My tomatoes are nearly 4 feet tall and are about the strongest looking plants I have ever grown. They are full of blooms, but not one fruit has set yet. I started these from seeds back in February. They are Market More variety. Growing them in growbags, three to a bag. Water daily and feed once a week.... Any ideas??? Thanks!!!

gobs

Tomatos not fruiting
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 10:03 »
Poor fruit set and blossom drop in tomatoes is very common and I have read all sorts of reasons known to men given to it by folks. :lol:

But dry air is a very good one for blossom drop, poor pollination and bad set. Keep them as moist as you can, which is tricky in a grow bag. Also, they might be a bit on the too big side for the amount of root space in there.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Patricia

• Experienced Member
    • My Garden blog
Tomatos not fruiting
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 10:09 »
Thanks Gobs!!! I will start misting them then. We have had some really strong winds lately and that has been drying most plants out.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Tomatos not fruiting
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 15:52 »
Have you used these bags before, one thing may be to much nitrogen in them so lots of growth. Think Gobs covered other things I thought
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

SalJ1980

Tomatos not fruiting
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 17:58 »
That's really useful to know about the drying out...my toms in my mini greenhouse are also about 4 foot tall and flowering but no fruit.

However I don't get to open the greenhouse door very often due to owning an exceedingly nosy and mischievous cat (see my avatar! ) - he's already managed to rip part of the plastic away from the zip so he can stick his head inside so I'm reluctant to leave the door open for any period of time when he's outside without me or his dad (no we don't have kids!  :lol: ) to supervise. :D

Oh well, kitty's just gonna have to get used to staying inside a bit more often...
Sal

Organic...so far!

Patricia

• Experienced Member
    • My Garden blog
Tomatos not fruiting
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 07:21 »
Hi Aidy, yes I have used grow bags before with no problems. I actually found my first tomato on the plants yesterday. The foilage is so thick and lush, that I hadn't seen it before. Have taken Gobs advice and am now spraying the leaves with some water when I water them. Thanks!!

greengrass

Tomatos not fruiting
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 10:00 »
hi i had same problem but i started to mist them with water.now i got loads of toms;  i thought marketmore were cucumbers;my cucs are called marketmore ;
hope your not mistaken toms for cucs
  john

sclarke624

Tomatos not fruiting
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 13:45 »
Like greengrass aren't Marketmore cucumbers. :shock:
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

xx
Pluot fruiting

Started by realfood on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 25, 2011, 19:08
by realfood
xx
Raspberries not fruiting!

Started by tinalfc on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post August 12, 2010, 07:17
by gillie
xx
Blackcurrants fruiting again?

Started by Nobbie on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 01, 2011, 15:59
by Trillium
xx
Non fruiting Cranberries

Started by Chas62 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 10, 2012, 18:45
by realfood

Page created in 0.444 seconds with 28 queries.