• 39 Replies

compostqueen

Proper reporting
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2008, 10:20 »
Sorry to hear that TMG

poultrygeist

Proper reporting
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2008, 11:56 »
That's bad news tmg. Do what you need to do.

Rob

woodburner

Proper reporting
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2008, 13:36 »
Was a 3 foot wire fence all the protection they had? Backing onto woodland too! That was unfair for the fox as well as the hens!

Having said that though, a local farmer who has a barnful of battery hens, started out with free range hens protected by (electric) poultry netting, but even so, he lost so many to foxes that he changed to the battery system. :( (They are quite possibly the most cosseted battery hens in the world and are definitely better looked after than many so called free range hens!)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

jimroden

• Experienced Member
Proper reporting
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2008, 14:13 »
The thing is with fox's is that they do not kill just one and eat it they will kill an entire flock if left to. They are worse in lambing season I was once shown what a fox does to a baby lamb and it is not very nice. Yes I know nature is cruel but IMHO fox's are above that there in a league of there own.

Jim
Dont tell lies you get in trouble

too many girls

Proper reporting
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2008, 14:16 »
that post was very upsetting, i'd like to see how you would keep 60 free range birds, free range on a 40 acre farm? ( pen them in to 6x8 run for example) oh and don't forget the 6 miles of electric fence chicken wire............

too many girls

Proper reporting
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2008, 14:17 »
that wasn't meant for you Jim, though i do take back what i said yesterday about not minding foxes, now i HATE them.........

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Proper reporting
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2008, 15:14 »
Quote from: "too many girls"
that post was very upsetting, i'd like to see how you would keep 60 free range birds, free range on a 40 acre farm? ( pen them in to 6x8 run for example) oh and don't forget the 6 miles of electric fence chicken wire............

tmg, please dont let anyones posts upset you. we can take all precauctions available, but a hungry fox is a determined fox. there are no promises.

its awful when it happens, especially when you have children. it may well be 'nature', but that doesnt make it anymore upsetting and infuriating.

you carry on ranting about what you want to do to them foxes, most of us fully understand how you are feeling  :wink:

too many girls

Proper reporting
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2008, 16:23 »
thank you for that Babe, you cheered me up a little bit, it's all very well realising the precautions you should have taken after the fact, when it's too late,  i know it's my fault, i got too many hens when i wasn't prepared for them (remember i was only after 6 ) but we did keep them safely in a stable until we could make the cow shed absolutely fox proof (which it is) not even a super fox could get in there unless he can chew or scratch through concrete,  i just didn't think they would be at risk on a sunny afternoon with 4 of us out and about, plus the 2 dogs ( i've a sneaky suspicion that the dogs were actually dossing on the sofa at the time of the dirty deed)  i feel awful, i feel i've let them down by allowing this to happen, but i don't think i could have prevented it unless i stood over them 24/7, i suppose i should be glad i've still got the other's, talking of the others, the hen house girls are absolutely furious that they haven't been let out today, i got a right earful when i tried to open the door to give them fresh food and water, it was only open a crack and they all flew at the door, there were heads and wings and feet sticking out, with me trying to push them all back in so i could shut it, we're moving them to a stable tonight, that should be fun

Foxy

Proper reporting
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2008, 19:32 »
TMG -how awful! so upsetting, dont blame yourself, we are only human and what you done for those hens is wonderful and selfless. Good for you.
We all understand how you feel-so I echo Babe go and have a rant then a few tears, followed by a bottle of wine......and cake!!

Porffor

Proper reporting
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2008, 21:12 »
I have confessed before and remain the same that my run isn't fox proof. I'll be honest i haven't the money at the moment.. i've made the best house i can now, as tall as i can, but i know if a fox visits in daylight.. my girls only hope is to go in their house, even with the door open they've more chance than in the run. :(

xx
Could she be a proper mum? - UPDATE

Started by Catsmuvva on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post July 05, 2011, 21:05
by evie2
xx
Proper eggs

Started by evie2 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 04, 2010, 19:48
by evie2
xx
Is Americano a proper breed?

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post July 05, 2007, 22:09
by ssatt44
xx
where to find proper creoste?

Started by jobson336 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 27, 2011, 21:22
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.294 seconds with 36 queries.