First few eggs at last!

• 6 Replies

poultry paul

First few eggs at last!
« on: June 18, 2008, 13:42 »
Yay! Doris Day (easy lay) has lived up to her name and is the first of my two chooks to lay. Despite Colds, runny noses, runny bums, crooked beaks that fell off, Lice, mites etc (thanks for your collective help in the past).
       Her eggs are a lovely solid shelled brown number with nicely coloured yellow yolk the only thing is the egg whites are very glutinous. When cooked (boiled) you can almost peel each layer but it tastes fine.
   Is that normal? As my other chook hasn’t started laying yet I’ve got nothing for comparison.
 :D

Bodger

First few eggs at last!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 13:44 »
Its more likely to be your cooking Paul, rather than there being anything wrong with the eggs. :lol:

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
First few eggs at last!
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 14:03 »
That's really great news Paul.................enjoy your eggs.

Porffor

First few eggs at last!
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 17:23 »
fab news! :) not sure on the cooking issues, but glad that you've got a layer! ;)

Kate and her Ducks

First few eggs at last!
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 18:34 »
It might be your cooking or perhaps the shock of actually eating properly frech eggs for the first ime, it was to me.  :lol:  Fresh eggs are more glutinous and stand up more than just spreading flat. You should be able to see the difference between the two types of albumen (white), worrying how difficult that can be with shop bought eggs. Also if you hard boil fresh eggs they are really hard to peel (only time less fresh eggs are better for cooking).

Welcome to the world of truly fresh eggs and never try to go back - you'll be horrified what the rest of the world thinks eggs should be like :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

A bonified egg snob :lol:  :wink:
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

First few eggs at last!
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 22:09 »
If you are boiling them then the eggs need to be a couple of days old at least, I guess we aren't used ot getting em so fresh in the shops......

Poolfield2

First few eggs at last!
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 22:13 »
Welcome to the world of real eggs! They make fabby meringues :D

Page created in 0.534 seconds with 36 queries.