Poorly onions - any advice please?

• 8 Replies

willnbirdie

• Experienced Member
« on: June 06, 2008, 20:52 »
Hi

Been working hard at the plot these last few days - onions were until a couple of days ago looking really good.

Weeded around them and one popped out very easily - hardly any roots left.  The foliage has stared to turn yellow and bulbs are a bit soft with white fluffy mould on them.

I have the book "The Vegetable & Herb Expert" by Dr. D. G. Hessayon - from his book I have diagnosed this as White Rot aka Mouldy Nose.  He says to destroy onions and not to grow onions on the land for at least 8 years!  :?

Can anyone offer advice - not all are affected at the mo (many have yellow tips to the foliage) - I guess they soon will be - is is a good idea to dig them up now and eat as salad onions or is that not good for us?  

When he says 'land' does he mean I cannot grow onions next year anywhere in my plot or just not where the onions are this year?  

Does this affect other plants?  (I do hope not)  

Can anyone tell me what has caused this?  Hessayon says something about dry hot summers but is it to overwatering or lots of rain following the dry weather we've had or........?

Other neighbouring plots seem to have the yellowing leaves but not seen the owners for a while to ask.

Sorry so many questions but any help would be appreciated.

And they were looking so nice............. :cry:

willnbirdie

vegmandan

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 21:07 »
Here's a bit of advice taken from the RHS.

Sorry in advance. :(

Symptoms
Infected plants often die before maturity. Above ground onion leaves wilt progressively before collapsing, although this symptom may not be so obvious in other alliums. Underground bulbs are rotten at the base and covered with a fluffy white mould.

Cause
Onion white rot is a most serious disease of the onion family because it is nearly impossible to eradicate the dormant stage from the soil. It is caused by a fungus which spreads from plant to plant by contact between roots and bulbs, and is capable of surviving in the soil for up to 15 years, during which time it can infect any onion or onion relative planted in its presence.

Prevention
Practise a three or four year crop rotation. If the infection is diagnosed do not grow susceptible plants in that area of the garden again.

Non-chemical control
Removing infected plants and increasing the space between host plants will help to reduce the severity of the disease. Destroy infected plants by burning or putting them in sealed bags in the dustbin. Do not compost infected material.

Chemical control
None is available. If necessary, contractors can be employed to sterilise the ground.

gobs

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 21:15 »
All that so true, but at early stages, you can remove all onion bed with soil.

Unfortunately, you might have already carried the thing around your garden on your shoes and tools from the area, unless well washed before moving! :shock:

But won't hurt to try as it might have not happened. Not much else you can do.

Don't think about eating, destroy and lose the soil of the bed too, wash everything well and give all alliums - that includes spring bulbs - in the whole garden a couple of years brake and then try and see if you had already carried it around.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

willnbirdie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 22:21 »
Thanks for the replies - thought it might be bad news.

We have garlic planted in the same area, about 2.5 metres from the onions so we will see how they get on - hoping it is as isolated as possible - only time will tell I guess.

If the garlic gets on ok then maybe we try some again next year in a different area of the garden - will remember to keep the tools cleaned - yet more Jeyes I guess.

As for crop rotation first yet at this but we are planning on a 4 bed  rotation system.

Cheers

willnbirdie

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 22:26 »
i attracted white rot over 10 years ago and still cant grow onions on that part of my land.
i do manage them ok at the far end of the area but cleanliness is paramount,ive seperate tools for cultivating them and a spare pair of wellies that stay up the top end next to the onion beds.
forgot to add i bought in 65 tonne of topsoil to create the new beds aswell.

gobs

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 23:12 »
You seem not wanting to know, Will, try to listen to everybody and lose ALL allium with soil, yesterday. That is if you  want to grow some whilst you still about. :wink:

willnbirdie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 23:54 »
Hi

Looks like advice is to dig 'em out and forget about it - guess that's what we'll do then - just really diasppointed - first thing to hit the ground and they were doing so well - love onion and use them a heck of a lot too.  Mind you if I have to wait 15years to grow onions I cannot guarantee that we'll still have the plot  :lol:

Cheers for the advice - here's hoping for no more nasties

willnbirdie

willnbirdie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 00:07 »
Can anyone tell me how the heck we got it in the first place?  Just interested incase it's anything we've done to cause the problem

Cheers

willnbirdie

iwantanallotment

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 01:54 »
willnbirdie, all is not lost for 15 years+ - ok, you can't grown in the same soil. But you CAN grow in pots/buckets! Or build them a new raised bed?
The compost won't be contaminated in any way, and you can position them any which way you like on your plot.
Not ideal.....if I had room, mine wouldn't be in buckets either....BUT - they're doing great and needs must.
Preferrably close to home, ie garden, cos buckets dry out quicker than open ground. But as far as I can see (idiot and newbie), that's the only drawback.
Don't give up - give it a go :wink:
As for you 'causing' the problem I'd guess no....it's just this humid, wet period we've had lately, following on from a dry, acrid period. Plants just don't know where they are  :wink:

xx
onions looking poorly

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 02, 2009, 22:15
by upert
xx
advice for onions

Started by alan/gill on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 07, 2018, 16:05
by victoria park
xx
Drying Onions advice.

Started by miggs on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 05, 2016, 09:52
by AlaninCarlisle
question
Feeding onions...advice please

Started by Sideshoot on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 21, 2014, 12:10
by gavinjconway

Page created in 0.701 seconds with 28 queries.