Bindweed - aaarrrgggghhhh

• 9 Replies

Island Girls

« on: June 06, 2008, 11:48 »
Has anyone got a solution to the bindweed that sits in my hedge and waits for me to go in the evening and then proceeds to spend the night strangling anything in the beds next to the hedge? I keep hacking back but nothing seems to work. I know that my Dad used to find the end of the plant and dip it in Round Up and wait for the whole plant to die but not sure about the whole weedkiller thing.
I would be grateful for any suggestions.
Btw, how big do brassicas have to be before I can put them in the ground?
Many thanks
Mandy

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 12:16 »
Best bet is paint the leaves with round up but it will need more than one go but really it's the only way as this stuff grows from nothing digging will control but never remove
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 12:16 »
I would go with dads solution, put the end bits in a bag of roundup, unless you can dig every peice of root up. Regarding Brassica's, I normaly plant out at the 4 leaf stage as a rule.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Jyoti

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 13:38 »
Hi guys, this is my 1st post....Can you use roundup on weeds that are in the middle of your veg patch?

diggerjoe

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 13:39 »
bindweed at home is a real pain as next door thinks its a great plant as its the only one he can grow - I spent a good hour a week bindweed digging :evil:  its everywhere but for some reason by the small confirs the leaves are very miserable and weak not sure if the trees have an effect on it or i've weakened them in that area - troulble is it gets through everything so difficult to treat.

paintedlady

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 15:07 »
Quote from: "Jyoti"
Hi guys, this is my 1st post....Can you use roundup on weeds that are in the middle of your veg patch?

The biggest problem is the potential for splash onto your crops.  Guaranteed the crop will die back a heck of a lot faster than the weeds :wink:
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

poultrygeist

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 15:21 »
I think bindweed doesn't like soil disturbance so if you tame it by cutting back to near the roots, you may be able to dig over the soil and weaken it a bit.
We've got loads of it and have tried painting the leaves, diggin out, ripping the stems to shreds and it still comes back. But we can't see it from the kitchen window so I can sleep at night.  :?

rob

flash

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 16:49 »
I've spent months digging out each bit. I'm very slowly getting there...

crowndale

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 16:51 »
Bind weed is a real pain, I go to the plot most days and go on a bind weed hunt every time!  I am pulling up every bit I see as I have planted crops now so can't dig it out and this is after virtually sifting the soil for roots!  But I guess it'll eventually get weakoned if not completely irradicated
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 23:59 »
It's true that bindweed doesn't like cultivated soil, which is why it's so happy at the bottom of a hedge or fruit bush etc!

If regular hoeing / weeding isn't possible, try growing it round a cane, then it's easier to target the glyphosate onto its leaves - paint it on rather than spray.

I have problems like yours; when I remember to look for the weed, and it's too difficult to unwind it from the plant it's strangling, a short-term measure I use is to snap it off at the root, so at least it can't grow any further at that particular point.  Buys me a bit of time, though doesn't do away with the problem  :evil:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Bindweed

Started by MalcW on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 05, 2013, 14:30
by Kristen
xx
bindweed

Started by chillimummy on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post September 13, 2013, 09:40
by Kristen
xx
Bindweed

Started by Fafafifi on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 13, 2006, 14:03
by Verminer
xx
How to get rid of bindweed

Started by bigben on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 30, 2010, 17:41
by Carol

Page created in 0.619 seconds with 28 queries.