plants that your hens don't attack

• 18 Replies

Porffor

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2008, 23:08 »
lol had to laugh at lovely smelling chooks! ;)

henpecked

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2008, 16:47 »
Quote from: "kattcottrell"
Quote from: "henpecked"
Mine only eat dandelions, I can let the roam on the lottie and the won't eat any of the veggies...they scratch around the edge and are clearing the way into the next lottie which is very overgrown and neglected. They've also uncovered a gooseberry bush which had been completely obscured by brambles. The do prefer to scratch for grubs than eat plants.

Oh I say!! what well behaved chooks you have, go on tell us the truth: you sent them to Dog (I mean) chicken borstal for a stint in the clink din't  ya? go on you can tell us... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

No chook borstal...honest...they just seem to like their own space to scratch around in looking for bugs. They are a pain if one of us is digging though!  :wink:

Daffy

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2008, 19:09 »
mine have favourite bits of the garden, and scratch anything I have the audacity to plant in 'their' bit.  I have put chicken wire all round my veg patches tho' as they just scratched up all the plants.  The worst thing - snapping off the asparagus shoots this spring - before I got a chance to wire it off.   :twisted: the best thing - my Hostas look fantastic - all little grubs gobbled up, and the plants untouched by chooks. :D

PJM

Plants that chickens won't eat!
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2008, 19:22 »
None really! if they can reach them they will eat them, including conifers. I saw a list while researching for mine that said ferns were poisonous, and everyone seemed to intimate that the Banties would not eat what was bad for them, but my prize collections of ferns are now stalks :lol:  and the banties are now pecking at the conifers. But none of it seems to do them any harm, and I have had them 7 months now. They didn't eat the daffs or bluebells though!

xx
Attack hens

Started by marygall on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 24, 2009, 20:48
by marygall
xx
lost 2 hens to a dog attack

Started by craig1981 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 07, 2010, 19:24
by craig1981
xx
will the other hens attack a broody?

Started by jobson336 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 21, 2010, 21:48
by Junie
xx
what plants do hens not eat?

Started by Shaun and dawn on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post February 06, 2014, 10:47
by HAPPYCHICKENHOME

Page created in 0.268 seconds with 36 queries.