Bolting garlic

• 16 Replies

Hampshire Hog

Bolting garlic
« on: May 31, 2008, 16:59 »
My autumn sown garlic cloves have virtually all thrown up a flower spike.
I have removed them as soon as I spot them.Can I do anything else??  :roll:

I have left the garlic pretty much alone apart from weeding and it seems to be maturing ok apart from the flower spikes.

Cheers HH
Keep digging

gobs

Bolting garlic
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 21:36 »
I don't think, you can do much else, sorry. :(
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Eristic

• Experienced Member
    • http://downtheplot.com/index.php
Bolting garlic
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 00:42 »
This is quite normal for hardneck garlic. Snip the flower stalks off as soon as they are large enough to handle and eat or discard. As the flower stems appear you should also notice a sudden appearance of lots of thin leaves sprouting from all over the stem and leaf joints. This indicates that the bulb is splitting into cloves and all is well.

Do not panic! That's my job. :twisted:

Hampshire Hog

Bolting garlic
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 10:07 »
Thanks for reassurance-yes I have the thin leaves too!
I will calm down!! :D

Cheers HH

love-my-plot

• Experienced Member
Bolting garlic
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 10:12 »
Quote from: "Eristic"
This is quite normal for hardneck garlic. Snip the flower stalks off as soon as they are large enough to handle and eat or discard. As the flower stems appear you should also notice a sudden appearance of lots of thin leaves sprouting from all over the stem and leaf joints. This indicates that the bulb is splitting into cloves and all is well.

Do not panic! That's my job. :twisted:

Thanks for that info ... I didn't know this about the thin leaves either and had  wondered if my bulbs were going to divide. Now I know what to look for  :D  Cheers!

fluffybunny

Bolting garlic
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 14:02 »
Sorry, can I hijack this and ask if it's the same for elephant garlic - I seem to have inherited some on my plot and it's up to about 3.5ft high but they have all just sent up flower stalks.  Thanks!

Trillium

Bolting garlic
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 16:06 »
I imagine it would be the same for elephant garlic. Just snap off the flower stem and let them get on with it.

gobs

Bolting garlic
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 19:52 »
Yes, it's normal for EG to flower, too, also before anyone wonders some soft neck garlic also will boast flowers, if you don't like them, silverskin is one that does not really do it much.

siztenboots

• Experienced Member
Bolting garlic
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 13:11 »
As a first time garlic grower , I think I have the flower spikes forming on mine.

I did a quick google and found this information quite helpful

Garlic falls into two distinctive sub-species: Hardneck, or Rocambole varieties (Allium ophioscorodon) produce a flower spike and have large, easy-peeling cloves, which will store from six to eight months. Rocambole garlics should be planted in October.
Softneck, or braiding, varieties (Allium sativum) have smaller cloves with no central stalk, as they do not produce flower spikes. They are generally spicier, with cloves that will store for a year. Softneck garlics can be planted in October, but some varieties, such as Silverskin, are best planted in spring.
Elephant garlic (Allium ampeloprasum) is actually a perennial leek, and has a much milder flavour. Its cloves split up when it is dried, so elephant garlic does not store for very long.

12 tips for top garlic
1. October planting is best for hard-necked and most soft-necked garlic varieties. Plant cloves about six weeks before the first hard frost, as they need a month of near-freezing temperatures, and at least 100 days to mature. Spring planted hardneck garlic does not grow into full-sized bulbs.
2. Choose a sunny site with rich, well-drained sandy loam – not too rich, or the tops will overdevelop. Garlic does not do well in light, sandy soils; heavy clay soils; or soils lacking in organic matter. If your soil is poor, amend it with compost and aged manure, and add wood ash to aid in bulb formation.
3. Replanting the largest cloves gives you the largest bulbs. To avoid problems with white rot, practise yearly crop rotation.
4. If garlic is planted too close together, or has to compete with weeds, it will result in smaller bulbs. Space cloves six inches apart in the row, and plant the rows a foot apart.
5. Plant individual cloves with the pointy end up, about two inches below the soil surface.
6. To cut down on weeding and watering, mulch with straw in spring, once the ground has warmed up. This will facilitate hand pulling later, rather than forking it out, which may injure the bulb.
7. Stop watering about three weeks before harvesting, to allow the bulbs to cure.
8. For hardneck garlic, cut off the flower spikes (scapes) when they appear. The energy used to go to seed detracts from the bulb size.
9. Harvest garlic bulbs in July, when about two-thirds of the leaves have turned yellow. Don’t wait until all the leaves have yellowed, as the cloves separate in an over-mature bulb, and will not store well.
10. Dry the bulbs outdoors in the sun for two or three days, unless it is really hot, which may cause them to brown, or threatening to rain, which would cause them to rot.
11. Remove surface soil from bulbs, but preserve the protective skin layers. Hang to dry in a warm, dark, airy place in bunches of six to seven bulbs. Garlic requires four to six weeks to cure properly.
12. Storing garlic in a cool, dark place with ventilation provides the longest storage life.
Steve

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Bolting garlic
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 13:25 »
Thanks for the info, siztenboots. If that's been copied from a web site, could you please give an ackowledgement for it. Ta.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Alex 98

Bolting garlic
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 13:33 »
Most of mine had flower stalks, but also very rusty and some stem rot.
So I dug it up
Its now hanging in the shed. Don't know if it will keep?

Probably use it all by the end of June anyway.
Alfie's Grandad

Trillium

Bolting garlic
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 14:37 »
Looks pretty good so far Alex. Just be sure to bin or burn the peelings rather than compost them. Rust can hang around for a long time. It doesn't really kill a crop but certainly makes them look ugly. Yours is mild in comparison.

siztenboots

• Experienced Member
Bolting garlic
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 14:54 »
Quote from: "DD."
Thanks for the info, siztenboots. If that's been copied from a web site, could you please give an ackowledgement for it. Ta.

Found by google, its an excerpt from
A Year on the Garden Path, A 52-Week Organic Gardening Guide by Carolyn Herriot

link http://commonground.ca/iss/0510171/cg171_herriot.shtml

love-my-plot

• Experienced Member
Bolting garlic
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 20:19 »
Mine were pushing right out of the ground today, so I dug them all up and they look really good :D  They were planted at the end of Sept last year.   It's the first time I've grown them and was worried the bulbs hadn't divided but they have, so I'm well chuffed. I'll post pics later.
So do I chop off the leaves before hanginfg them to dry or just leave them?
Thanks.

gobs

Bolting garlic
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2008, 20:23 »
Very good web site Realfood. :D  Thanks for sharing.

Well, my hard neck is not growing any little weird leaves that's for sure. 8)

xx
garlic bolting

Started by lucywil on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 28, 2009, 20:09
by BigPaddy
xx
Elephant Garlic bolting!

Started by SnooziSuzi on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 21, 2010, 21:52
by Elcie
xx
Why are all my garlic and onions bolting?

Started by Mbmyco2 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 18, 2014, 23:39
by 3 allotments
xx
Bolting Porcelain garlic???

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 10, 2008, 17:26
by Trillium

Page created in 0.498 seconds with 37 queries.