is this true

• 25 Replies

Vitoria plum

is this true
« on: May 29, 2008, 20:12 »
i read in a book or mag cant remember exactly, that if you took most of the leaves off a tomato plant, it would produce more toms, well last year i though i would give it a go, only on a couple of plants (just left on about six)but i never have seen the results as all the toms got blight, has any one tryed this before

woodburner

is this true
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 20:28 »
I don't see how. The leaves are the source of the plant's energy, getting rid of most of them will surely stop the tomatoes ripening, as there won't be enough sugar produced. If they're not ripe, what does it matter if you've got more of them? ;)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

lincspoacher

is this true
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 20:30 »
you need to remove side shoots on tomato plants because they produce all leaves and no fruit, but apart from that the plant needs its leaves.

'sideshoot' is defined as a point where two shoots are emerging from the same spot, one above the other, on the main stem. Pinch out the upper one.

Ice

• muck spreader
is this true
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 20:35 »
Ditto the above.  I always cut off the side shoots and lower leaves are cut when they begin to go brown.  If you have a bush variety then you may not need to cut off the sideshoots.
Cheese makes everything better.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
is this true
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 21:08 »
Quote from: "Ice"
Ditto the above.  I always cut off the side shoots and lower leaves are cut when they begin to go brown.  If you have a bush variety then you may not need to cut off the sideshoots.

And me I leave the leaves on  :D
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

matron

is this true
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 21:20 »
I read somewhere to take off the leaves below the first truss when the fruits have set. Would this be done when all required trusses had set or when just the fruits on the first truss are there?

MarkG

is this true
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 21:27 »
Yes I read the same. In the Tom. section on this website I think. As well as the side shoots, remove all the leaves below the first truss when the fruits set.

What does that mean: 'when the fruits set' ? Does it mean when they start to grow?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
is this true
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 21:34 »
I've always understood 'fruit setting' to mean that the small fruits start to be visible behind the flower - i.e. as the flower drops off, the tiny green tomato can be seen.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

matron

is this true
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 22:21 »
That's my understanding as well Yorkie.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
is this true
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 22:24 »
If my toms have a load of big leaf growth as they do sometimes, I remove some of the lower leaves to let more light in, and I know someone on here said about planting the side shoots to make new plants, and I actually tried that last year and it grew and produced more toms, but I can't see the plant producing more toms if you remove the leaves.

Mind you, I haven't tried it, so could be wrong!!!

Trillium

is this true
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 22:28 »
Last year I took a chance and gradually took off most of my tom leaves as they grew. I left a good cluster at the top at all times as I wasn't sure just how many to take off.
It was a good success. I got lots of sweet toms, no moldy stuff in lower areas, no mice snacking on hidden toms, and the yield was just as good. I don't remove any trusses. Whatever will bear fruit is left on.
the reason I did it was that I noticed when tomato hornworms started stripping my plants, the plant simply put out new leaves and kept flowering as if nothing happened. As long as your soil is well fed, the toms will do just fine. Definitely doing it again this year. If you don't believe me, check out my personal gallery pix on toms.  :wink:

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
is this true
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 22:31 »
The older statesmen/woman on our site do as trilly once they are producing toms, only the bottom leaves are nipped, never done it meself but they do it all the time.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

gobs

is this true
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 22:57 »
Quote from: "GrannieAnnie"
If my toms have a load of big leaf growth as they do sometimes, I remove some of the lower leaves to let more light in, and I know someone on here said about planting the side shoots to make new plants, and I actually tried that last year and it grew and produced more toms, but I can't see the plant producing more toms if you remove the leaves.

Well, very good observation, Grannie, well prooved by extensive research, in case you needed any :lol: , the more leaf you remove the less roots they grow, so there. Not much or anything gained.  :wink:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

love-my-plot

• Experienced Member
is this true
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 01:10 »
I had the same results as Trillium, last year. Stripped off most lower leaves, leaving a clump at the top(and any flowers of course) Loads of Toms that seemed to ripen quicker once the leaves were gone. It was the first time I'd grown them, so don't know if that would have happened anyway, without removing the leaves, but it sure didn't do any harm. The plants had lots more air around them, with less foilage too  :D  I'll be doing the same this year, as the plants grow.

JudyAnn

Trusses?
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 03:33 »
What are you refering to when you speak of trusses, and don't you have a problem with sun scald when you remove your leaves?  Here I need the leaves to cast some shade on the tomatoes or they will sun scald.

xx
Is it true

Started by sparky on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 03, 2007, 15:37
by Lynne
xx
Is it true

Started by sparky on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 18, 2008, 08:57
by Sadgit
xx
True or false?

Started by Paul Plots on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 07, 2011, 01:37
by Paul Plots
xx
True to seed

Started by gardener247 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 05, 2010, 15:49
by gillie

Page created in 0.456 seconds with 28 queries.