Hens Broody for too long??

• 3 Replies

Helen-Mary

« on: May 27, 2008, 15:13 »
Hello, has any one else got hens sitting broody for too long??  I am getting quite worried about four of mine who have now been sitting 30 days - is this normal??
I have a large garden with two ponds. Have been keeping chickens, ducks & rabbits for the last four years and have successfully reared 'young' from them all!  I also have 2 dogs & a cat and a very understanding husband!

PJM

Broody Hen
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 16:28 »
Hello Helen-Mary, one of my girls was broody for 7 weeks, and like you I was worried, but I lifted her out once a day for food and water, and left her to it. She is now happily trashing the garden again with the others. So long as you make sure she eats and especially drinks plenty of water you should be ok.

Helen-Mary

Hens broody too long
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 13:25 »
Thank you for your reply.  They are coming off for food and drink. There are two birds sitting side by side in each nest box. At one point there were three in one box - all on top of each other - never known them to do this before.  The poor cockerel is wandering about very lost on his own.  Also my drake as Mrs duck has just hatched out 6 beautiful ducklings and he has had to seperated from them! Just wish the hens would 'get on with it!!'

Jellyhead

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 11:06 »
Hi HM, My chooks have sat for 5 weeks or more too. No problems tho :wink: Sounds like you have a lovely collection there. Tho is it true :wink: I think we need piccies, ducklings dont grow up normal unless they have their photos taken at a very young age you know:wink:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

xx
Which hens for our broody? Need good layers and hardy hens, - which to choose

Started by sarahkk on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 12:24
by sarahkk
xx
How long broody?

Started by themagicaltoad1 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 16, 2009, 17:17
by themagicaltoad1
xx
how long is a hen broody for?

Started by thats1crazylady on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 16, 2012, 18:40
by thats1crazylady
xx
how long will she be broody for?

Started by jackie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 17:17
by Pretty Chick

Page created in 0.28 seconds with 27 queries.