How long broody?

• 9 Replies

themagicaltoad1

How long broody?
« on: October 16, 2009, 02:22 »
about 3 weeks after they started laying 2 of my bantams went broody, this was about 3 wks ago. Now my 3rd girl has gone broody too and of course there's no eggs. I've tried dunking their bottoms in cold water and locking them out of the coop all day, I don't have somewhere separate to put them in Colditz conditions. So, I was just wondering how long this is likely to go on for? They're not eating a lot either and I'm getting concerned , all they want to do is snuggle down somewhere and fluff themselves up to keep their imaginary chicks warm >:(

Vember

Re: How long broody?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 09:14 »
Amazing that they are broody now with the days getting shorter etc...

There is a chance that after being broody (if they haven't already) they may moult, which again will mean no eggs :(
Sadly again baring in mind the time of year (and the fact they are banties) you will be lucky to get any more eggs from them this year :(
Sorry :(

Hope they prove me wrong though :)

Sarah :)

power_of_p3

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 10:18 »
hey magicaltoad,

we just had one ours go broody too, she'd only benn layin about three weeks too and she about 25 weeks old.  shes come out of it now and it only lasted a week.  are you able to be with them kost of the time, cause if found if you keep moving her she quickly gets bored, everytime she settled somewhere i chased her with a stick ;) gently.  i also kept feeling her vent too, just to make sure she wasnt eggbound instead.  as for the food, i just kept putting a handful on grain right under her nose and nudging her crop and that seemed to get her to eat just a little, enough so she wasnt losing any weight.

this is by no means 'the way you should do it' but it worked for me and she was our first broody too.

bb ~~jo~~

edit: she only came out yesterday, so no egg yet, how long will it be?

Vember

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 10:31 »
They normally don't lay again for the same amount of time as they've been broody, so if broody for 2 weeks you'll have another 2 week wait before she lays again, longer if she moults :(

Ps Who was your Fav? Dan (Foster child who used to live here) loved Piper ::) 

Foxy

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 10:51 »
I have a few persistent broodies too, rather odd this time of year, specially as they have been broody for a quite a while, around late summer, I let one banty hatch a few eggs though.. :wub: :D

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 17:07 »
I spent the past 2 days while off work moving them on everytime they looked like they were settling down somewhere, it hasn't made any difference, today (according to my neighbour, they haven't put in an appearance all day so I can only presume they've spent the day on the nest >:( I've just turfed them out but it will be getting dark soon and they'll have to go back in. And you've all depressed me even more! :lol: Is there a light at the end of the tunnel?

Vember

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 17:07 »
Yes, next Spring  :D

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 17:11 »
Thank you Vember............. off to find a cupboard to hide in til then :(

Vember

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 17:12 »
Get some ducks, still getting eggies from mine   :tongue2:  :D

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 17:17 »
I had to go against "she who must be obeyed" to get the chooks! I think I'd be looking at a divorce if I suggested ducks :lol:

xx
how long is a hen broody for?

Started by thats1crazylady on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 16, 2012, 18:40
by thats1crazylady
xx
how long will she be broody for?

Started by jackie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 17:17
by Pretty Chick
xx
PLEASE HELP!! how long will they be broody for?

Started by Shazzer on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2008, 00:27
by Shazzer
xx
How Long Broody

Started by peter rooster on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 02, 2010, 23:50
by peter rooster

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 36 queries.