Sungold - Should I be worried ?

• 15 Replies

Lardman

« on: May 23, 2008, 19:17 »
I've not grown any sungold toms before, can some take a look at the picture and see if I should be concerned.

Seeds were fresh from T&M and all (3 plants) display the same leaf problems.  No sign of any nasties and the plants have been like it since day 1.

When I've seen this before I've pinched off the leaves and the new leaves have been fine. Doesn't seem to have worked this time - new leaves are displaying the same characteristics. Not easy to see but the blotches have a slight purple tinge to them.

Bin the lot and start again? Or will the plant grow out of it. I really dont want to introducing something nasty to the other tom plants.  Its getting to that time of year and Im getting worried.

gobs

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 19:29 »
I'm not sure, get me book out later, any other symptoms, what's the underside like and which leaves are affected?

Must say sungold proved a healthy tomato for me.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 20:01 »
Other than the issue with the leaves all the plants seem healthy - normal growth, just developing flowers.

Underside of the leaves dont seem to show anything abnormal other than the leaf damage - no spider mites or similar (they're too busy playing with the chillis  :twisted: ) Doesn't seem to transfer into the stems.

Another plant -

gobs

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 20:14 »
Will have a look in me clever book, but that sounds better with no nothing else. :lol:

If plants look OK, just take the jolly things of, that won't hurt, if you gentle.

Are these most of the leaves affected and the older ones?

gobs

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 09:14 »
Nothing specific in my book like that. No other symptoms and the plants doing OK, sound good.

That it has been there from day 1 and persists does not. Someone else might know.

Keeping them separate won't hurt.

Lardman

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 13:31 »
Thanks Gobs,

I'l keep them away from the rest of the toms - I could be being paranoid, lost nearly 30 plants to blight last year if it happens again this year I'll be going hungry  :(

helluvatractor

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 18:38 »
i got some sungold for the first time this year too.  i also got some golden sunrise which had a similar looking thing on the leaves a few weeks back. i removed all the affected leaves and sprayed copper fungicide just as a precautionary measure and they they are doing fine.

i too lost all my plants to blight last year,

purplebean

Re: Sungold - Should I be worried ?
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 12:23 »
I have exactly the same thing on several of my tomato plants. Having read everything I can and inspected them carefully I have come to the following conculsion.

When I remove the fleece in a morning the leaves often have droplets of water on them, as the sun gets up it shines through the water and scorches the leaves. Hence little burnt patches on the leaves.

Mine have been like it for about two weeks and it certainly doesn't seem to be spreading. Right now the sun doesn't seem to be hot enough for it to be damaging any other leaves.

pushrod

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 23:27 »
Quote from: "Lardman"
Thanks Gobs,

I'l keep them away from the rest of the toms - I could be being paranoid, lost nearly 30 plants to blight last year if it happens again this year I'll be going hungry  :(

could well be wrong but think you have answered your question there. Looks suspiciously like early signs.
 I have already lost potatoes to blight this year  :shock:
Are they inside your greenhouse and if so did your inside toms get blight last year?

i would definitely spray an anti-blight chemical - dithane?
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Lardman

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 06:25 »
Looks suspiciously like early signs.
I have already lost potatoes to blight this year

:( Im not sure about blight, its only the sungold (3 plants) and they have been like it since the first set of true leaves back in Feb. I would have expected them to be a mushy mess by now if it was blight that early. I dont think they're too healthy though. I was hoping they'd out grow it but they dont seem to be doing so.

Plants are outside , new compost / pots / canes. I'll start a few more and see if they display the same.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 06:50 »
Quote from: "pushrod"

Are you sure? You ought to be telling the Potato Council then! The frost badly caught mine, but are recovering. Frost & blight are somewhat incongruous.

This map shows the confirmed areas of blight outbreaks this year. As you can see the common factor is costal areas thus far, and not many of them at that.

Blight Incidents
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

muntjac

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 12:20 »
thats water burn inmyop... drops of water lay on the leaves and the sun hits it like a magnifying glass ,dont panic over it just try and water down the base not on the leaves . if the house is to hot water the pathway well this will bring the temp down and up the humidity :wink:
still alive /............

pushrod

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 22:00 »
Quote from: "DD."
Quote from: "pushrod"

Are you sure? You ought to be telling the Potato Council then! The frost badly caught mine, but are recovering. Frost & blight are somewhat incongruous.

This map shows the confirmed areas of blight outbreaks this year. As you can see the common factor is costal areas thus far, and not many of them at that.

Blight Incidents

Thanks for the link, only glanced at it so far but will investigate fully later.

I am definitely no expert on plant pathogens but in my veg patch in recent years have had to abandon trying toms outside as come late july / early august toms were going black and plants going black and dying back. With potatoes had to use types that said they had blight resistance and then just earlies. Still had probs with plants dying early and the spuds becoming a rotting putrid mess. Anyway this year put a line of pentland javelin in and some rotted in exactly the same way before they even  properly came up. I am assuming it was blight even though it wasn't the normal attack method. Unfortunately i have misplaced the book i usually use to check such things.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 22:19 »
woulod this be down to no rotation, or is this nothing to do with it?
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

pushrod

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 22:34 »
Quote from: "peapod"
woulod this be down to no rotation, or is this nothing to do with it?

certainly hasn't helped ( not being able to rotate). I keep hoping with the spuds that i will get away with new potatoes or first earlies. TBH i should stop growing all spuds for 3 or 4 years.

xx
First ever 'Sungold'...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 20, 2013, 12:06
by wil4025
xx
Sungold tomato

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 28, 2011, 18:21
by tosca100
xx
sungold tomatos

Started by upthetump on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 06, 2015, 06:50
by Growster...
xx
worried

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 10, 2017, 08:45
by Grubbypaws

Page created in 0.929 seconds with 36 queries.