Who's eaten my Cauliflowers ?
« on: May 12, 2008, 10:18 »

Chickens  :roll:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

My fault  :wink:

gobs

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 10:22 »
Ouch!
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

beadwindow

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 12:33 »
Could I hazard a guess,

PIGEONS!

Last weekend I planted out 6 nice and tender cauliflower plants, about 4-6 inches in height. I went to the allotment last night to check things and water the youngsters and to my horror they had been attacked. It was reported to me that wood pigeons were having a rave there the evening before.

I have now covered them in fine chicken wire as a deterrent, hopefully protecting them until they are tough enough. Apparently pigeons love early leaves on cauli, broccoli and the like.

fletch

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 18:51 »
Apparently pigeons love early leaves on cauli, broccoli and the like.

Is it just the early leaves? My summer cabbages have been had by them so I have netted them. I'd rather not have the netting on all summer, so can I remove it once/if they grow?
First timer, NOT enjoying the backache anymore!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 20:35 »
Quote from: "fletch"

Is it just the early leaves? My summer cabbages have been had by them so I have netted them. I'd rather not have the netting on all summer, so can I remove it once/if they grow?

Firstly the point that Auntie owned up to it being her chickens seems to have been missed!!!!

Regarding netting, fletch, if yours are anything like mine, all brassicas, (and a lot more things besides), have to be netted against pigeons for the whole season.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Bombers

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 20:39 »
Quote from: "DD."

Firstly the point that Auntie owned up to it being her chickens seems to have been missed!!!!

Regarding netting, fletch, if yours are anything like mine, all brassicas, (and a lot more things besides), have to be netted against pigeons for the whole season.

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm278/srebmob/P1010029.jpg
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

Sharkwatch

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 21:17 »
Quote from: "beadwindow"
Could I hazard a guess,

PIGEONS!

Last weekend I planted out 6 nice and tender cauliflower plants, about 4-6 inches in height. I went to the allotment last night to check things and water the youngsters and to my horror they had been attacked. It was reported to me that wood pigeons were having a rave there the evening before.

I have now covered them in fine chicken wire as a deterrent, hopefully protecting them until they are tough enough. Apparently pigeons love early leaves on cauli, broccoli and the like.

Beadwindow,
If you wish to believe that your plants have got smaller due to pigeons, slugs or even that anorexic, pygmy woodlouse on a diet then carry on if it makes you happy.

The rest of us allotmenteers however, are well aquainted with your 'growing in reverse' skills where you buy established plants from the local nursery or scrounge them from your green-fingered fellow allotmenteer (Sharkwatch) and grow them smaller over the course of the summer.

It would be helpful if the other allotmenteers on this site could help to explain to Beadwindow that vegetables are not bonsai plants and he is not growing turnips for the residents of Lilliput.

Sharkwatch :lol:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 21:17 »
Quote from: "srebmob"
Quote from: "DD."

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm278/srebmob/P1010029.jpg

I'm afraid that's been tried, tested & consigned to the skip with CD's down our site. Only a physical barrier stops our pigeons!

Wildeone

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 21:21 »
Quote from: "Sharkwatch"
Could I hazard a guess,

PIGEONS!

Beadwindow,
If you wish to believe that your plants have got smaller due to pigeons, slugs or even that anorexic, pygmy woodlouse on a diet then carry on if it makes you happy.

The rest of us allotmenteers however, are well aquainted with your 'growing in reverse' skills where you buy established plants from the local nursery or scrounge them from your green-fingered fellow allotmenteer (Sharkwatch) and grow them smaller over the course of the summer.

It would be helpful if the other allotmenteers on this site could help to explain to Beadwindow that vegetables are not bonsai plants and he is not growing turnips for the residents of Lilliput.

do you two know eachother?!?!?!?!?!?  I hope so  :?       :lol:
1 x hubby
2 x daughters
3 x chickens
1 x bunny
6 x african snails  . . . . . and counting.

gobs

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 21:25 »
Quote from: "Wildeone"
Quote from: "Sharkwatch"
Could I hazard a guess,

PIGEONS!

Beadwindow,

do you two know eachother?!?!?!?!?!?  I hope so  :?       :lol:

They must do, they had this sort of exchange of insults before. :wink:

Another romance in the making. :wink:  :lol:

Wildeone

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 21:32 »
Thank goodness for that i was about to sit them down and get Aunty to read them the rule book!  :shock:

8)  :lol:

wighty

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 21:41 »
I've beenannoyed before about the exchange between these two and have complained to the mods, I haven't heard anything back, itdoes annoy me,

weeeed

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 21:45 »
Auntie it's bad enough they ate your caulis but did you have to send them here to eat my corgettes!! :lol:  :lol:
I know less today than I did yesterday, and I knew nothing then!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 21:51 »
Then you should have complained to Aunty and she'd have corrected them for sure  :evil:

As it is you have changed the point of MY thread as DD pointed out.

IT WAS MY CHICKENS  :!: It was meant to be funny  :roll:

So watch out beadwindow and Sharkwatch - Aunty's got a ban button and knows how to use it  :!:

Wildeone

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 21:55 »
it didn't bother me as long as BOTH of them are laughing! ! ! Nothing worse than coming on the computer for an inoccence chat about chooks and veg and recieveing a load of abuse!  But looking at other comments it does seem they like to wind eachother up! :roll:  :lol:

xx
Cauliflowers have been eaten

Started by totalnovice on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 20, 2009, 20:52
by DD.
xx
cauliflowers

Started by chrissie B on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 08, 2008, 09:42
by essexpaul
xx
Cauliflowers

Started by Briony on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 31, 2009, 21:01
by rink123
xx
Cauliflowers

Started by Plot74 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 14, 2012, 18:17
by fatcat1955

Page created in 0.628 seconds with 29 queries.