Saving my borders from my chickens

• 6 Replies

mtoyne

• Experienced Member
« on: April 03, 2008, 16:22 »
Ive got 5 chickens and they free range in my back garden, weve got plant borders with no plants in at the mo as we want to get shrubs that our girls wont eat.My problem is that the girls kick all the earth on to the grass and my grass is being destroyed, if i edged the lawn with something like log rolls would it stop the earth from the borders covering my garden?

ck2day

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 16:28 »
Might keep the earth off the grass but it wouldn't keep your hens off the borders themselves. The only way to do that is to keep them penned up and not let them free range i'm afraid.  Mine have been banned from the garden as they are eating every new shoot that appears  :x  

Mind you they do have a big field to "play" in so I don't feel too bad !

You could try putting up fencing around your borders at a height that the hens wouldn't get over but then that may spoil the look of your garden, sorry !!

PJM

Chickens and Borders
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 17:35 »
I don't think you will find any shrubs that the chooks won't eat, my hens motto is green is good and they eat the leaves off everything :lol:  youve got to love them though. Give up gardening! :lol:

Davenports

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 17:58 »
Agree with ck2day - try and pen your girls in - depending on the size of your garden of course - if you want a nicely kept garden with neat flowers beds and a nice lawn.

My set up is that my four girls have plenty of lawn, beds and shrubs in their run from the rest of the garden.  Before that they had the run of the garden but spent most of their time on the patio under the kitchen window waiting for my boys to throw them cherry toms, grapes and other deli snacks out to them.  They would even stay and roost behind the pots and not bother going into their house.

They would also scratch around in my pots digging out all the plants so they could use them as a dust bath!!!!!! :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

Now all I have to do in try and pen in my two boys of 10 and 14 so they dont ruin my beds and lawn from when they play football. :roll:

So good luck with whatever you decide   :wink:

Poolfield2

Gardening with the help of chickens
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 22:11 »
My 6 girls have the free run of 1.5 acres of field and 0.5 acre of garden and they follow me wherever I am digging. I love the company but the only way I can get new things established is to put old freezer baskets over them. Probably not an elegant solution in a neat garden but mine is usually a bit scruffy. Old pallets cut with pointy tops and made into fences helps with the less aerobatic girls.

All that space to play in and my lot spend most of their life trying to get into my porch, especially if it snows.

Good luck, they are worth the mess!! :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 22:47 »
My chooks have a shrub garden to dig in, it's about 10 ft deep and about 20 ft wide, you can see about a quarter of it here.  They don't eat the shrubs and they love digging in it :!:

mtoyne

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 13:53 »
Thank you everyone for your replys. Think i will try some edging like auny sallys. We arnt the perfect garden type, just want to save a bit of the grass for the kids to play on. Wouldnt swap my girls for a neat garden any day. They seem to keep the cats out 2 which is a bonus.

xx
Newbie, after advice for protecting borders

Started by cammi on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 11, 2011, 21:18
by Aunt Sally
xx
saving the ground

Started by nicky d on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 14, 2010, 13:36
by Biguba
xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 36 queries.