mini green house advice...

• 14 Replies

courgette

« on: April 03, 2008, 13:11 »
another question!...my mini greenhouse/s condensate quite bad now they lovely sun is out, i've been undoing on of the zips for an hour or so to let air in, or is this defeating the greenhouse effect? Didnt want mildew etc forming :wink:

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 13:25 »
So lang as you make sure it is closed up before it starts going cold at night and not opened  too early in the morning should be OK you do need ventilation to keep mildew away. If you can some days it should be fully open so long as you are there to close it up if necessary
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

courgette

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 13:32 »
excellent, many thanks for another helpful reply  :D

ruth82

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 22:25 »
Mine keeps blowing over, i've tried putting the heaviest things at the bottom but it still seems to topple.  I have already lost loads of seeds and now growing everything indoors but my fiancee wants our spare bedroom back to being a bedroom (how rude!).  Any ideas on how I can keep it upright??
Rabbits are NOT cute

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
mini greenhouse
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 23:01 »
Hi Ruth 82,
I'm new to this site and also have a mini greenhouse. The left hand zip on mine is only held to the plastic by a wish and a prayer, at least half of the plastic has come adrift from the zip at intervals. My marigolds have germinated well in advance of my tom seeds which I've grown to companion plant and repel tomato problems.

I prop my greenhouse against a fence which just about resists westerly winds. It's survived all winter so far. Like you I have heavy stuff in the base but sheltering it from the main winds next to the fence seems to have made the difference. Hope that helps.

iwantanallotment

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 01:06 »
Same as you, mashbintater - I put mine up again today on the yard, ie against house & big side fence. Nothing will shift it now, bar an earthquake. It gets full sun from the east and west and a bit from the south, not ideal but should be ok for the things in there.
Last week I had it up the garden against a 7ft fence but it blew down within 12 hours, scattering  seedlings everywhere  :(

Hope that helps, Ruth. If you can pop it in a right-angle somewhere, ie 'gripped' on 2 sides that will make all the difference  :)

Bombers

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 08:22 »
Ruth82 Mine keeps blowing over, i've tried putting the heaviest things at the bottom but it still seems to topple.

What do you call heavy? Iv'e got 2 450mm paving slabs and 6 house bricks in the bottom of mine, and it survived those high winds we had :wink:
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

Ropster

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 12:16 »
I have a 18in slab in the bottom of mine and it hasnt moved yet

muddywellies

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 12:53 »
Big bag of compost on the bottom shelf of mine sorted out the problem for me  :D

jennyb

• Hiding in the Greenhouse
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 15:22 »
mine has little metal loops on the outside so you can attach string like guy ropes for a tent!

Wombat

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 21:08 »
mine has little metal loops on the outside so you can attach string like guy ropes for a tent!

I used those loops to tie mine to a couple of cup hooks screwed into the battens of the fence panel it stands against, one hook just above each loop.  Wedged the panel in tight first.  Bag of compost in the bottom as well.

jennyb

• My Blog
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2008, 21:11 »
mine is actually connected o the front wall of the house via a metal loop in the wall and a hanging basket bracket.

last year it was attached to the trees in the back garden.

couple of heavy pot plants on the bottom while its round the front too.

courgette

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2008, 07:47 »
Just wanted to point out that even with resting 2 concrete garden ornaments on bottom poles of mine it still tipped over. With the winds we had few weeks back approaching I put in a crate of wood too & put it in a sheltered bit of the garden.....it still tipped over.....by snapping the frame at the bottom!! Mine was made by gardman & they very kindly sent out new base to me so now I have mine right up against the fence & tied to it round the whole frame & I also had grow bags in the bottom til recently when I ran out of room & needed the bottom shelf!!  :roll:

jennyb

• My Blog
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2008, 07:50 »
sounds like it's well secured now courgette!

weeeed

mini greenhouse
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2008, 16:47 »
Just put mine up after battling home in a howling gale and hail stones! It is in my kitchen and my dogs are not happy cos it means they are a bit squashed. Was thinking of putting some stakes into the ground inside th frame work to see if that helps as I too have lost them in the past. This one only cost £10 from £stretcher so not as bad as losing a real one (already done that too!) :oops:  :lol:
I know less today than I did yesterday, and I knew nothing then!

xx
Mini Green house

Started by pepsi100 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 23, 2023, 12:14
by Snow
xx
Mini Green house problems.

Started by Clampit on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 27, 2008, 21:47
by noshed
xx
Mini Green House....fleece cover

Started by courgette on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 26, 2008, 07:49
by Nikkithefoot
xx
green house advice pls

Started by Rowan on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 27, 2009, 19:51
by DavidT

Page created in 0.635 seconds with 36 queries.