Plums in bud yet?

• 14 Replies

polly nator

• Experienced Member
Plums in bud yet?
« on: March 28, 2008, 08:16 »
Planted two new minarette fruit trees in January. The crab apple has buds bursting into leaf but nothing appearing on the plum. Buds not even swelling yet  - should they be? My raspberries and goosebery are doing fine too.
 How long should I wait before contacting supplier for a replacement plum?

gobs

Plums in bud yet?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 10:40 »
Relax, most plums start a lot later. :)
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

beki

• Experienced Member
    • http://wholesomeliving.smfforfree4.com/index.php
Plums in bud yet?
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 14:29 »
Bith my plum trees are in bloom - have been for a good couple of weeks now. But they're both about 9ft tall and 10ft wide!!!

So maybe the younger ones bloom later?  :?
Trying to live the good life.. getting there slooooowly...

gobs

Plums in bud yet?
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 16:05 »
Rather variety and local weather I would think, that would matter much.

Nikkithefoot

Plums in bud yet?
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 20:20 »
My plum is just beginning to show signs of life, but my apple and cherry trees have been budding for a week or two longer.

You are a good bit further north than me and whereas I assume you have had snow etc I have had not one flake. The local temp differences, variety, and overall day length will all affect when each tree begins to bud. I would wait a while yet. If unsure look at other trees or visit a local nursery and see what their trees are up too.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

polly nator

• Experienced Member
Plums in bud yet?
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 13:09 »
Thanks everyone. I will try to be patient! yes we have had a lot of snow here.

yummy

Plums in bud yet?
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 15:20 »
Saw ours this morning and there were a few buds on it. No blossom yet.

digby

• Experienced Member
Plums in bud yet?
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 13:10 »
My plum seems to be taking ages too, very little sign of life yet

iwantanallotment

Plums in bud yet?
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 17:25 »
Mine just started blossoming today  :)

Quick Q....last year several of my plums turned into shrivelled brown mouldy-looking things - some fell off the tree and others stayed stuck firm, as if glued. Had to knock them off with the washing line prop. There were also a few blobs of a clear, hard glass-like substance on some branches.
I suspect it was some kind of pest invasion, but can anyone tell me what? And how can I prevent the same problem this year?

Noah'strolly

• Experienced Member
Plums in bud yet?
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 19:06 »
I've got one of those plum tree that is one variety on the left and another on the right, the left has blossom the right has none, so I suppose it varies between variety.

crackedflowerpots

Plums in bud yet?
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2008, 20:10 »
our victoria plum tree was pruned rather hard last year ...  showing some signs of life but i dont hold out much hope for a bountiful crop ... hey ho always next year! :roll:
if it grows, it grows! if it doesnt ,, ah well .. there's always next year. :-)

gobs

Plums in bud yet?
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2008, 20:30 »
Quote from: "iwantanallotment"
Mine just started blossoming today  :)

Quick Q....last year several of my plums turned into shrivelled brown mouldy-looking things - some fell off the tree and others stayed stuck firm, as if glued. Had to knock them off with the washing line prop. There were also a few blobs of a clear, hard glass-like substance on some branches.
I suspect it was some kind of pest invasion, but can anyone tell me what? And how can I prevent the same problem this year?

Scale insects under the bark can cause sticky honeydew, treatment is not always necessary, the other thing is one of a few fungi that cause brown rot of stone fruit, some can cause really serious damage, with the very wet season we had not a surprise.

Make sure you collect all infected fruit, brown or shrivelled and foliage and dispose of , these are source of infection for next season. Late spring thin out the tree to have an airy crown, loose all buds and shoots that look blackish or diseased. Thin out clusters of fruit, too.

Some varieties are more prone to it than others though, if not organic, can use a copper or sulphur based fungicide spray.

iwantanallotment

Plums in bud yet?
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2008, 20:54 »
Thank you gobs, I'll follow your advice.
The tree is organic to date, never used anything on or near it, but will definitely get chemicals on it if necessary.

I had wondered if it was plum maggot and was going to buy a trap, but there were no holes or grubs in any of the diseased fruits.

Ice

• muck spreader
Plums in bud yet?
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2008, 22:09 »
Lots of small blossoms on my Victoria plum tree today.  Woohoo. :lol:  Oh, and my pear tree.  Both only bought late last summer.
Cheese makes everything better.

gobs

Plums in bud yet?
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2008, 22:15 »
It's not necessary to use them. Prevention and hygiene is enough most times, but re-infection will occur again in a pants season, especially with prone to it varieties.

This happens through cracks of fruit skin, anything can cause it really, depending thickness of skin, heavy showers, hails, insects, birds and natural splitting due to varied water content which a floody sort of season would make sure of.

Just keep an eye out for sign of browning in young fruit and get rid off.

xx
Plums.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 08, 2023, 08:39
by Candide
clip
Plums pt 1 & Pt 2

Started by Missey on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 17, 2020, 11:01
by Ivor Backache
clip
Plums

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 07, 2016, 11:49
by Lardman
xx
plums

Started by grizzlymonkyboy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 21:55
by grizzlymonkyboy

Page created in 0.438 seconds with 36 queries.