Bald patch - please help

• 4 Replies

Seedling

Bald patch - please help
« on: March 27, 2008, 13:47 »
Hi there,

I've been on the allotment bit for a while but I'm new to chicken keeping, had some ex batts for 2 weeks now.

One of them has lost all her feathers between her wings on her back over the last few days and now there's a big bald patch and I'm a bit concerned. She was sitting in the soil when I went home at lunchtime but I guess this could be normal? She seems to be eating and drinking well.

Does anyone have any advice they can give me as to what it might be? Or of there's been a previous post about this problem could you point me to it?

The other two are fine, bit of a mess but that's to be expected and they are loving the freedom :-)

Thanks!
Fi

naturesparadise

Bald patch - please help
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 15:03 »
if you could post some pics it may help people to give advice on your problem  :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Bald patch - please help
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 15:08 »
Hi seedling,

I would guess she is either moulting or being pecked by the other two hens.  

Sit in your garden chair, cup of tea and whatch them,  you'll probably see if she is getting pecked, but you'll certainly enjoy watching  :wink:

Dust bathing is normal btw

Seedling

Bald patch - please help
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 14:25 »
Well, we sat with them for 2 hours yesterday afternoon and she didn’t get pecked once so I guess I can rule that out. We did have a few laughs though, they’re so funny to watch especially trying toy trying to drink from the pond! I did take a blurry pic of the bald back but my home internet is down so I’ll post it as soon as I can. In herself she seems ok, active and eating etc so I guess I’ll see how she goes.

Would also like to say, as others have, what a great site this is. There’s so much really good information on here and so many helpful people, it’s a great place to stumble across!

Fi

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Bald patch - please help
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 18:48 »
I knew you'd enjoy sitting and watching the chooks Fi  :D   Justkeep an eye on the patch and let us knowit it gets bigger or better.  Keep themdusted for  lice and see how they go

:D Glad you like it here  :!:  :D

xx
Bald patch

Started by LizzyChick on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 11:25
by bantam novice
xx
bald patch

Started by Fenland Girl on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post November 17, 2007, 14:10
by muntjac
xx
bald patch

Started by djt on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 03, 2007, 23:57
by Gardening Mark
xx
Thelmas bald patch

Started by andy46 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 04, 2013, 20:34
by andy46

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 28 queries.