Good day at the allotment

• 13 Replies

Lynne

« on: March 24, 2008, 17:40 »
A great day despite snow and hail. Finished the rabbit defences on the latest bit we have cleared. Really cold though.
Lynne.

So much to do, but so little time.

shaun

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 18:53 »
i have forgot where my plot is,it seems a lifetime since i spent more than 10 minutes there  :?
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

mumsy

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 20:02 »
Us women seem to just get on with it, spent all saturday afternoon in the garden, building me pea frame, transplanting nicotianas, in the hail, snow, sun, rain, whats wrong with you blokes :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?

Frog

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 20:20 »
We had a fab day too! We dug over one of our beds - the hard work of last year has really paid off - hardly any weeds to be seen!!  :D  :D
Makes the prospect of digging the next two beds full of couch grass a little easier!  :shock:
Roll out the Radox!  :oops:

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 19:05 »
Mumsy, I thought about going to the allotment but it would be too wet, too cold, there was sport on the TV etc.  Your posting made me get off my BTM and go there this afternoon, dug it from end to end taking out those weeds that have just started to grow (it wasn't too wet!).  Thanks for shaming me into work but isn't it great to be out on the plot again.  All we need now is for the soil to warm up.

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 19:15 »
I just do a drive by with mine to make sure the shed base is still in situ and see if the weedkiller has done anything yet!

It's been too cold and wet for far too long now  :x  I'm itching to get growing on it!!!!

Hopefully I'll get hubby to get the shed put up next week and then at least I'll have somewhere dry to stand and watch the grass and weeds die!  :wink:
Snappy 

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

I could give up chocolate but I'm not a quitter.

agapanthus

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 20:22 »
Quote from: "shaun"
i have forgot where my plot is,it seems a lifetime since i spent more than 10 minutes there  :?

Come up here Shauny.....no snow but plenty to do!!!!!! ;) x

JimG

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 21:05 »
Took an extra day off work and managed to get some time in at the allotment today.  It was worth it to watch two robins and a blackbird picking over the freshly turned ground a few feet away from me.

I took the tops off some young nettles and put them into soak in my watering can.  I read that it makes an excellent organic fertiliser, nettles holding lots of nitrogen.  Any idea just how long it should take for the process take effect?

diggerjoe

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 11:54 »
I managed to get up lottie before Easter and althought there is still some ground to clear I couldn't resist just raking over a bit that had been dug over  a few weeks back - oh magic digging after all the couch grass -  soft soil all raked out ready for planting - you can't beat it :D

chicken soup

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 12:06 »
Quote from: "Snap Dragon"
Hopefully I'll get hubby to get the shed put up next week and then at least I'll have somewhere dry to stand and watch the grass and weeds die!  :wink:

Finally got my shed put up on Monday and felted on Tuesday so now all thats left is equiping the shed out and painting the outside.  My shed is second hand so I have to clean all the green from the outside first too but it will soon be looking as good as new.  :D   We went to b&q yesterday and bought a nice rollerblind to put up at the window which was in a sale so hubby can do that this weekend to stop any nosey so and so's looking in.  :D

I am really looking forward to spending time up there now as I don't have to worry about being caught out in the rain, after all my 10'x8' is big enough to even lie down and have a snooze  :lol:  :lol:
40 hens, 8 cockerels, 3 dogs, 2 rabbits, 8 chinchillas, 2 teenage daughters and O/H

compostqueen

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 14:50 »
your shed sounds great. Roller blind an all  :D   I love my shed too and I fell asleep in there last summer when I'd gone in to get out of the rain. I have a comfy chair, which I sat in the doorway, and it was so warm and quiet I dozed off :oops:   I have a butane gas cooker where I brew up and make soup and bacon sarnis etc, so I'd recommend you get yourself one of those. Only a tenner  :D

diggerjoe

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 16:42 »
sounds great chicken soup - a shed 10 x 8, we are not allowed anything over 4 x 6 really looking forward to getting mine up and sorted at the lottie no more carrying all that stuff on my bike - and anyone whose tried balancing a full bag of compost on handlebars knows what I mean :lol:  :lol:

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 16:49 »
10x8!!!!

That's a proper home from home!  :D

I've got a 7x5 (when hubby puts it up!) but I wish I'd gone for something bigger!

I like the sound of the roller blind that's a good idea... I was gonna make some curtains for mine! I can see it ending up as more of a playhouse for the girls rather than a tool shed!  :roll:

chicken soup

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 17:44 »
Thanks for comments and guess what I have done today?

My youngest daughter and I went up to the shed basically to take up some supplies seeds, large piece of wood to use as a work top, oh yes mugs and tea bags, a right escape shed I feel.  Hubby is planning to take up the gas stove and chairs at the weekend.  He says its bacon butties at the weekend if the weather is nice.  :lol:  :lol:  

I do have to keep the chicken supplies in it too so a bale of straw, wood shavings, and chook food.

Tomorrow is "suppose" to be a nice day so might go up there and start the painting seeing as I have two teenage daughters who voluntered to help.

Snap Dragon, I was going to make curtains for my shed too but after pricing up material for 8 foot of window it turned out cheaper to buy the blind.  

Now when am I actually going to do some work on the allotment oh yes inbetween cups of tea, bacon butties and dozing  :lol:  :lol:

xx
Anyone good on Allotment law?

Started by Snap Dragon on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 11, 2008, 23:12
by sweet nasturtium
xx
Good allotment planner

Started by jerryd on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post December 18, 2011, 18:48
by Growster...
xx
Good Allotment weekend

Started by fibilou on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 19, 2008, 16:17
by compostqueen
xx
hydraulic lime powder any good for my allotment?

Started by davidjpwoodland on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post February 19, 2010, 19:18
by DD.

Page created in 0.617 seconds with 29 queries.