hydraulic lime powder any good for my allotment?

• 15 Replies
« on: October 15, 2007, 14:07 »
Hi

I have 4 25kg bags of 3.5 strength hydraulic lime that I was going to use to point some old garden walls - sadly other things got in the way and the lime has gone past its use by date. I have tested it by pouring water over an inch or two of the powder - but it has remained soft. I understand this is the standard test.

Rather than take it to the landfill site - will it be ok to add to the rather acidic soil on my very large allotment? I would scatter it in powder form, rather than allow lumps which would create small lime "rocks".

I realise I shouldn't add it in the same year as acidic compost but this year the allotment has been lying fallow. I normally put a great deal (a couple of tons) of very well rotted horse manure on the clay type soil. but it has had nothing for 12 months.
I'd be grateful for any advice.

David Woodland

muntjac

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 14:11 »
i ssupect this post will go to the grow your own forum ,i have no dealings with hydraulic lime so cant comment .. buty welcome to the site matey :wink:
still alive /............

WG.

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 14:13 »
Hi and welcome to the forums.  I think you mean hydrated lime in which case I wouldn't recommend.  See lime in the Glossary of Terms  :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 14:28 »
Moved as suggested Munty, you could have done it yourself now you are a MOD!!!! lol

If it is hydraulic lime, that does exist, as I looked it up on the 'net, but like WG. said do you mean hydrated?  I only know about the horticultural stuff I put on my garden, but I did find this very interesting site (albeit American!) all about lime, read if interested!

http://www.lime.org/ENV02/ENV802.htm#Animal

And welcome to the madhouse!!!!

Also, please put your rough location in your signature so we know whereabouts in the world you are!!

andy135

Re: hydraulic lime powder any good for my allotment?
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 15:42 »
Hydraulic lime is listed in the glossary of terms above ^^^^^  :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 15:48 »
Thanks Andy, I think they meant hydrated lime.

However, they asked the question nearly 2.5 years ago and never came back.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Salmo

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 16:45 »
I think the answer is that we are not sure. Hydraulic lime is used on ancient buildings. My research on the NET says that it is made exactly as hydrated lime but with limestone that has a clay content rather than pure lime. If I have it correct the clay content is converted into a sort of cement which makes hydraulic lime mortar stronger than mortar made with hydrated lime.

From what you say David, it has gone off, the same as cement will. I cannot see it being harmful to the soil in that state and the calcium content would certainly make the soil more alkaline as ordinary hydrated lime does.

Do not blame me if in a years time you are letting your vegetable patch out as a hard standing for caravans.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 16:51 »
David was logged on for all of 8 mins in October 2007. Was never seen again.

Yabba

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 17:16 »
David was logged on for all of 8 mins in October 2007. Was never seen again.

Wonder if he listened to you during those 8 minutes? :roll:

¥

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 17:22 »
Watch it - I'm back your way in April and know where to find you. :mad:

Yabba

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 17:24 »
I'll dye my hair, you'll never recognise me :D

¥

BostonInbred

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 17:46 »

Hydraulic lime is a variety of slaked lime used to make lime mortar. Hydraulicity is the ability of lime to set under water. Hydraulic lime is produced by heating calcining limestone that contains clay and other impurities. Calcium reacts in the kiln with the clay minerals to produce silicates that enable the lime to set without exposure to air. Any unreacted calcium is slaked to calcium hydroxide. Hydraulic lime is used for providing a faster initial set than ordinary lime in more extreme conditions (including under water).

Garden Lime is coarse ground Limestone, which is Calcium Carbonate (CaCO2), with small percentages of Magnesium Carbonate and Magnesium Oxides.

Calcium hydroxide, traditionally called slaked lime, hydrated lime, slack lime, or pickling lime, is a chemical compound with the chemical formula Ca(OH)2. It is a colourless crystal or white powder, and is obtained when calcium oxide (called lime or quicklime) is mixed, or "slaked" with water. It can also be precipitated by mixing an aqueous solution of calcium chloride and an aqueous solution of sodium hydroxide. The name of the natural, mineral form is portlandite. It is a relatively rare mineral, known from some volcanic, plutonic, and metamorphic rocks. It has also been known to arise in burning coal dumps.

SO in short, there three different substances. The point of garden lime is to add alkalinity to the soil. Hydraulic Lime is not going to behave the same in the soil as garden lime since its chemistry is different,. and i woudl suggest the process it goes through will make it less reactive and less predictable in respect of what it will do in the soil, and whats more, its got stuff in you might not want in your plants, like silicon. Personally, i wouldnt  bung it on my plot.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 17:54 »
If you're going to copy/paste from Wiki, please give a citation.

Yabba

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 18:00 »
If you're going to copy/paste from Wiki, please give a citation.

Quote from: wikki thing
In Renaissance time, blonde was a popular choice because it was considered to be angelic and attractive

Informed source

¥

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

xx
test to see if strange powder is lime?

Started by sladefungus on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post January 26, 2010, 00:02
by Paul Plots
xx
Garden Lime vs Builders' Lime

Started by Swing Swang on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 15, 2012, 12:13
by Swing Swang
xx
Good day at the allotment

Started by Lynne on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 26, 2008, 17:44
by chicken soup
xx
Anyone good on Allotment law?

Started by Snap Dragon on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 11, 2008, 23:12
by sweet nasturtium

Page created in 0.479 seconds with 30 queries.