surprise egg

• 7 Replies

lilaclevi

surprise egg
« on: March 24, 2008, 15:56 »
I have 9 chooks, 2 light sussex, 2 columbine chooks and 5 rhode island reds, I thought all the girls were  laying as I get a light blue egg every day as well as about 5-6 other eggs ,but recently I have been finding the odd tiny brown egg, with no yolk. :?  :?  I got the girls last year about september as p.o.l.
Why am I suddenly getting this tiny egg? is it because one has just started laying, and is it normal for them to be so long before they are laying ( it is the Sussex ones I think)

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
surprise egg
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 20:32 »
Maybe someone will have an idea why no eggs and no yolk but just enjoy the girls...eventually they'll get the hang of this laying thing!!

Try nice grapes, one week green, then black the following week...break up into small pieces and hand feed  :roll: ...you'll get eggs!!! ....Well maybe...but happy hens anyway!  :)

Good luck,

Judi

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
surprise egg
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 20:35 »
Welcome lilaclevi

Don't worry about the "wind eggs" - That is what an egg with no yolk is sometimes called.

An egg will be formed by a hen around any object in their system.  It is, of cause, usually round a yolk but sometimes it may e around a very small biece of tissue which has been detached from the hen's reproductive tract.

Hope that helps  :D

lilaclevi

surprise egg
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 21:11 »
:D Thanks for your help, I think my girls are the best ! and can only surmise that the chooks laying the tiny ones will soon start laying bigger ones. They are obviously slow learners! Its funny though why the others went straight on to laying lovely large eggs and even lots of double-yokers right from the start, wonder if this is a peculiarity of the Light Sussex breed, anyone else have this experience? :roll:

Jellyhead

surprise egg
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 21:47 »
I haven't got light Sussex but some of my babes start off laying small eggies and they gradually get bigger - that tends to be the bantams - and others go straight into laying lovely bigguns :shock:  :lol:  :lol:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

NormandyMary

surprise egg
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 21:51 »
My new babies' eggies started off tiny but within a couple of weeks, I couldnt tell them apart from their older sisters. Its only the big girls that are giving me whoppas.

I tried my chooks with grapes yesterday, expecting a bloodbath to get to them but they weren't that impressed!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
surprise egg
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 21:52 »
Hi Lilaclevi!!!!!  Funny, it seems a bit of deja vu reading your post!  I had one just like it from my chookblog today!!!!!     :lol:  :lol:

Welcome to the madhouse (I mean henhouse!!!!!!)   lol.  Hope you will find lots of info on here to help you enjoy your chooks even more!

hazelize_uk

surprise egg
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 23:02 »
Hi Normandymary,

I had a similar reaction the first day I tried mine on grapes they didnt seem to bothered.  I gave it another go splitting them in half and hand feeding them and they enjoyed them much more.  Now I daredn't hand feed them grapes as it leaves me without any fingers!! I have to wear gloves and throw them in the air they leap around like mad dogs after a stick!

xx
Surprise Surprise + pics

Started by Jellyhead on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 23, 2008, 08:56
by kimT
xx
what a surprise!

Started by jaydig on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 09, 2014, 09:53
by jaydig
xx
Pleasant surprise

Started by Fat Hen on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 07, 2008, 07:14
by Bodger
xx
surprise turkeys

Started by animal mad on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 03, 2010, 18:30
by frickinradical

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 28 queries.