what a surprise!

• 6 Replies

jaydig

what a surprise!
« on: October 07, 2014, 19:20 »
Well, my new girl started off by laying two eggs a day, both of which were proper eggs with yolks, although one of them was always smaller than the other. She stopped doing this, and only laid one egg per day, but 80% of these have been double yolked - small again, but perfectly formed, as the saying goes. Today she exceeded herself - only laying one egg, but when I cracked it tonight for hubby's scrambled egg there were three yolks in it. Any ideas why this is happening? Does each yolk use up one of her potential eggs, or is it one yolk that splits into two or three when the egg is formed? Any ideas?

grinling

Re: what a surprise!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 21:15 »
separate eggs and that might soon stop, which is just as well as egg size is large and can cause probs so keep an eye on her.

jaydig

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 09:26 »
separate eggs and that might soon stop, which is just as well as egg size is large and can cause probs so keep an eye on her.

The eggs she's laying aren't any bigger than normal ones, unlike when one of my previous birds laid the odd double yolker, which was huge. The thing that worries me is should I be giving her a tonic, or something to help her along, as it must take more out of her than laying just an ordinary egg, or am I worrying too soon?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 13:35 »
each yolk will represent one of her eggs I'm afraid so yes her laying could be shorter than other hens. Some hens are genetically programmed to lay double yolkers and nothing you can do will stop that. Just keep feeding her a good quality feed and keep treats to a minimum to ensure she gets enough vitamins and minerals from her layers feed.
Staffies are softer than you think.

jaydig

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 15:35 »
each yolk will represent one of her eggs I'm afraid so yes her laying could be shorter than other hens. Some hens are genetically programmed to lay double yolkers and nothing you can do will stop that. Just keep feeding her a good quality feed and keep treats to a minimum to ensure she gets enough vitamins and minerals from her layers feed.

Thanks, I'll do that, and hope that she settles down into normal laying soon.

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 09:10 »
If she has only just started laying this can often happen and should settle down :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

jaydig

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 09:53 »
Thanks, I'll just make sure she's well fed, and wait for things to settle.

xx
Surprise Surprise + pics

Started by Jellyhead on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 23, 2008, 08:56
by kimT
xx
surprise egg

Started by lilaclevi on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 25, 2008, 23:02
by hazelize_uk
xx
Pleasant surprise

Started by Fat Hen on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 07, 2008, 07:14
by Bodger
xx
surprise turkeys

Started by animal mad on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 03, 2010, 18:30
by frickinradical

Page created in 0.256 seconds with 29 queries.