Broken egg in hen

• 4 Replies

Beano

Broken egg in hen
« on: September 30, 2014, 10:16 »
On Saturday afternoon I noticed one hen, the best layer, was sat in the nest box for a long time. When I went to investigate I saw that there was eggy yello in the nest box and on her bottom and she was VERY lethargic. We brought her in and put her in a bowl of warm water which she seemed to enjoy. While I was on the phone to the vet. (who was not much help) she managed to get more out. We kept her in the airing cobarn overnight and kept a close eye on her Sunday. She was drinking well and was hungry and we managed to get her to eat some foot. She refused to eat a boiled egg though. Yesterday I took her to the vet. who examined her and could not feel anything left in her, not even another egg on the way. She gave her an injection of a muscle thing that would make her get rid of anything that was left and some antibiotic. I gave her some mealworms and layers pellets soaked in water and she wolfed it down. She seems quite perky this morning as we put her out in a seperate run close to the others.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what else we can do to help her?
Do you think that she has had a narrow escape and that she is now out of the woods?
I'm back in work today and hope that she is good when I get home tonight!
El.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Broken egg in hen
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 10:37 »
hopefully the antibiotic jab will have helped ward off any infection. Make sure they have a good supply of crushed oyster shell to help give them the calcium they need as well as dark leafy greens to help them absorb the calcium. Often the older the hen is the weaker their shells are so this could happen again sadly  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 18:38 »
Perhaps cut down on the extra protein - the boiled egg and mealworms - as these tend to increase egg size which can make laying more difficult.

Beano

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 09:08 »
Thanks for the replies. There hasn't been an egg since, I suspect she will go into a moult now due to shock. She was pretty good last night but a bit down this morning again. I've left her with soaked layers pellets and mealworms and plenty of water. Hopefully she's on the mend. I'm still keeping her away from the others but tomorrow I'll be home and I'll try mixing her then, depending how she is.

Beano

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 09:18 »
She has perked up a lot over the weekend. Fingers crossed, she's on the mend.

xx
Broken egg

Started by Suzybat on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 09, 2011, 23:31
by viettaclark
xx
broken egg

Started by sneezer on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 07, 2010, 19:01
by joyfull
xx
Broken egg

Started by flimbin on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 06, 2010, 17:15
by flimbin
xx
? broken leg

Started by yellowpenguin on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 09, 2010, 09:48
by yellowpenguin

Page created in 0.738 seconds with 31 queries.