Is it worth growing carrots?

• 28 Replies

sharky

• Experienced Member
« on: March 09, 2008, 18:46 »
Hello,

My veg plot in the garden is limited to 14 foot by 8 so I have to be selective of what I grow. I am pondering if it is worth designating a row to carrots or having another row of onions there. I seem to get the impression that carrots are a lot of hassle esp with the dreaded root fly, what should I do, row of onion or carrot? Also how difficult are they to grow? Would it be a better idea to plant some carrot seed in a grow bag instead?

Questions questions.. sorry.  :oops:  :?

Clampit

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 18:50 »
You can grow carrots in a tub if you are limited for space in the garden. I love the taste of homegrown carrots so i'd definately try and grow some. :D

Lee1978

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 19:03 »
I grow my carrots in water butts that have no bottom. I fill the containers leaving about 10 inches at the top and then sow my carrots, had no bother with carrot fly so far as they can't fly that high :D

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 19:06 »
if you've never tasted 'proper' carrots before and space is limited then perhaps use the space for something else... However....  home grown carrots just don't compare with the bland, evenly shaped things you get in the shops and haven't done all of the airmiles that the shop ones have so it's up to you really.  

It is recommended that you grow carrots and onions together so that each confuses the others flies - ie carrot fly get confused by the onion smell and onion fly is put off by the carrots!

gobs

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 19:13 »
Where are you please, Sharky? And where are you growing?

You might not have a carrot fly problem around at all, hard to help with little info. If there is likely to be a problem and no space, might be reasonable to go for something else, but you only need a fleece over, though. :wink:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

dangolding

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 19:18 »
IMHO, home grown carrots taste nicer than home grown onions

Also, for us, we tend to cook onions in other dishes, but carrots tend to be a veg on their own, so we'd get more "benefit" so to speak

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 19:43 »
Home grown carrots take a lot of beating, sow your carrots thinly in between the rows of onions to confuse the fly, Thinly sown they need less thinning so the smell when you thin won't attract the fly, also just been told by a friend his dad puts blue plastic down between his carrot rows to confuse the fly. The idea is that it sees blue and thinks its the sky 'n goes straight by the carrots :?  anyone tried it?
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

gobs

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 19:48 »
Is he on drugs? :shock:  I don't know if carrot fly sees colours, but that's not really how they seem to orientate themselves.

beki

• Experienced Member
    • http://wholesomeliving.smfforfree4.com/index.php
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 20:05 »
I've just sown mine today in an old , unuseable, water butt. Left about 5" at the top. Drilled some holes around the base for drainage... fingers crossed!  :D
Trying to live the good life.. getting there slooooowly...

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 20:13 »
Quote from: "gobs"
Is he on drugs? :shock:  I don't know if carrot fly sees colours, but that's not really how they seem to orientate themselves.

:lol:  nope his dad swears by it, I'd imagine they don't see the spectrum like we do, perhaps that's why it works. it's possible they may think it's wet ground no good for laying eggs ??

mkhenry

Re: Is it worth growing carrots?
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 20:17 »
Quote from: "sharky"
Hello,

My veg plot in the garden is limited to 14 foot by 8 so I have to be selective of what I grow. I am pondering if it is worth designating a row to carrots or having another row of onions there. I seem to get the impression that carrots are a lot of hassle esp with the dreaded root fly, what should I do, row of onion or carrot? Also how difficult are they to grow? Would it be a better idea to plant some carrot seed in a grow bag instead?

Questions questions.. sorry.  :oops:  :?

If you like carrots then its worth the trouble. The taste makes it all worthwhile plus they are good for you.  If space is a prob then do what others have advised you to do.  Grow in containers. Carrots seem to like containers more then some veg. :wink:

I grow mine in a spiral,  the outer ones grow better because the have more sun, but when I harvest them the inner ones get the golden rays.   It werks for me , but remember to water every day in the very hot weather, and don't forget the drainage holes. :lol:  :wink:
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

Clampit

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 20:22 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
just been told by a friend his dad puts blue plastic down between his carrot rows to confuse the fly. The idea is that it sees blue and thinks its the sky 'n goes straight by the carrots :?  anyone tried it?

Wouldn't grey plastic be more appropriate???

mkhenry

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2008, 20:22 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
Quote from: "gobs"

:lol:  nope his dad swears by it, I'd imagine they don't see the spectrum like we do, perhaps that's why it works. it's possible they may think it's wet ground no good for laying eggs ??

Richie there are dafter ways of successfuly dealing with the carrot fly. I once posted that if you lay pieces of mirror in and around your carrots that the carrot fly would think it was a rival and swoop to attack her own refection thus knocking herself out.  AND its true ,so a bit of blue seems likely to me.  They seem to be very single minded and stupid by result. :lol:  :lol:

sharky

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2008, 21:20 »
Quote from: "mkhenry"
They seem to be very single minded and stupid by result. :lol:  :lol:

And anything over a few feet is a physical barrier?
Surely the carrot fly is a contender for the worlds worst fly? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

===============

Thanks for the replies, I will be sowing some seeds now, in containers instead.  :)

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2008, 21:29 »
yes sharkey, you have to grow a carrot  :lol:

xx
carrots -- is it worth improving the soil

Started by RichardA on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 21, 2013, 12:14
by savbo
xx
What is Definitely/Maybe/Not worth growing yourself?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 18, 2009, 00:25
by NigelB
xx
Are peas worth growing

Started by Lazy Daisy on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post April 29, 2009, 12:13
by Sadgit
xx
is my little space worth growing on?

Started by custardcreams on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 12, 2008, 09:34
by gregmcalister

Page created in 0.853 seconds with 36 queries.