Fertilising

• 1 Replies

Tina&Tony

Fertilising
« on: March 02, 2008, 07:58 »
Last year was our very first year at veg growing, we have heavy clay soil so spent a small fortune making and filling raised beds, but the harvest was so worth it.. Carrots, peas, beans and courgettes were on a different taste scale to shop bought ones..  
Anyway, so this year I decided to feed the soil and have been digging in chicken poo, manure etc etc into the beds over winter and last month dug in another load of manure..  Just to read that carrots dont like it!! Will I have to grow the carrots in planters ? is there anything else that realy doesnt like manure? any advice appreciated...

gobs

Fertilising
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 20:09 »
Most roots don't like rich soil, but I would not bother, all that happens you probably get a lot of funny shaped carrots, which you would do even if started forcing the planters as sods law would have it. They'll taste Ok, it won't matter much, you know for next year. :)
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

xx
Fertilising the Soil

Started by chris mutter on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 07, 2020, 08:24
by rowlandwells
xx
fertilising with comfrey tea

Started by Eightball on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 27, 2013, 01:30
by Trillium
xx
New to the fertilising lark...

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 27, 2013, 21:00
by shed head
xx
potato fertilising

Started by Steveharford on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 06, 2014, 07:45
by Yana

Page created in 0.501 seconds with 36 queries.