Food quantity question

• 26 Replies

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Food quantity question
« on: February 27, 2008, 18:35 »
my four girlies seem to be getting through about 1.5l of water, and almost a whole feederfull of pellets a day. Im not sure the quantity of feed in there, but the feeder is the same physical volume as the drinkers (one litre). I have two 1l drinkers, one in the house one outside. Each gets 2.5ml cider vinegar/1l water

So, how much feed a day are 4 girlies likely to get through? the same with water? Its no hassle for me to upscale the kit (ive already got a feeder, probably about 5l volume)

Is it possible the increase in food consumption is a prelude to laying? by that i mean a peak just before first lay, obviously they will eat more when laying. I say this because we had two eggs tonight, one a darker one, i think Bocky's, and the other pale, which im taking to be one of the other girls first egg. Both were in the usual place right in the furthest most inaccessible part of the house! :lol:

the eggs are all small, like bantams, at the moment, im expecting they will get bigger as the girls get into the swing of it. I toped up the bedding in the nest box to try and encourage them to use it. Had to shift all four out of it to do so and got some dirty looks :lol:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Food quantity question
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 18:41 »
mine have layers pellets ad lib, and water.

so they can help their selves.

they have corn and treats in the afternoon, but just pellets and what ever they can find in the ground in the morning.

Foxy

Food quantity question
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 18:43 »
probably notice they are eating more as the days are longer now!
I think the food consumption sounds about right - I would go for a bigger drinker as as the weather gets warmer they will need more fluids.
I also give them roughly a handful each of mixed corn in the evening.
Mine are getting through huge amounts but they are rather large ladies!!! :lol:  :lol:

poultrygeist

Food quantity question
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 19:03 »
Ditto. Hopper always filled. Drinker always filled. I think they're 2.5l each for the 6 ladies.

+ large cupful of corn each afternoon.

They can drink a surprising amount. Better to give them too much than risk them going short.

Though Munty advises that overfeeding makes them too 'curvacious' to lay so it's a fine balance with the treats.

Rob

Foxy

Food quantity question
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 19:14 »
Oh dear, think I am having too many treats! :oops:  :oops: Couldn't resist marks and sparks chocolate cheesecake yummy! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Food quantity question
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 19:15 »
Quote from: "poultrygeist"

Though Munty advises that overfeeding makes them too 'curvacious' to lay so it's a fine balance with the treats.

Rob

are we still talking about chickens?  :wink:

poultrygeist

Food quantity question
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 19:17 »
Well now you mention cheesecake, it does seem unfair to stop them having a few extras when I've just had a big lump of homemade date cake.  :oops:

...and I'm diabetic, but you live once. Maybe not for long but it's good while it lasts !!  8)

R

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Food quantity question
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 19:42 »
They eat about 125g/bird/day on layers varies with size of hen , mine eat more in the winter than in the summer, keeps 'em warm and they drink loads.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

poultrygeist

Food quantity question
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 19:49 »
We still only have one layer in our crowd, and I did wonder whether we are overfeeding but with a constant supply of pellets and just a daily handful of corn is this likely do you think ?

I read that if you ration the pellets, the top birds will scoff the lot.

Rob

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
Food quantity question
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 19:57 »
Your probably right Rob top hens gets first eats. Mine are fed adlib but I think they go through about 1/2 kg a day or so, a 20 kg bag lasts me about 38-42 days. How much corn do you give them ? and do they get treats ?

Laying through the winter varies from breed to breed and also when they where hatched, I've read that birds that come into POL in the autumn are more likely to lay all through the winter than others.

poultrygeist

Food quantity question
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 20:04 »
We use a large yoghurt pot about 3/4 full of corn between them scattered around the floor of the run which takes them about 3 seconds to hoover up.

It gives them something to forage and scratch for too. I always worry about stimulation for them.

They're 6 of Grannie's Amberlinks which are now 26 weeks but one has been layign for about 10 days except Sunday unless 2 have been taking turns. I would have expected 2 on at least one day if that were the case.
I'm not bothered only if there's a reason why they don't lay. At least 3 of them have full combs and wattles and are deep red. I think they are selling the eggs off secretly through a gap in the hedge.

Rob

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
Food quantity question
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 20:12 »
I'd just be patient then Rob, sounds like your doing everything right to me.
At 26 weeks they should be about ready to lay, but it's not carved in stone,
Daylight etc affects lay and Amberlinks are supposed to be good layers, give  it a few weeks and you'll be snowed under with eggs   :D

Fancied a few of Grannies myself but I just haven't got the room at the mo  :(  look like lovely birds

poultrygeist

Food quantity question
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 20:18 »
I'm trying to think of a way of expanding their run without them getting out. I have to dismantle 2 sides of the fencing, move a post and reassemble in as quick a time as poss. and they are very inquisitive so won't just let me get on with it. If there's a gap they'll be through it.

I need to get the wide screen and DVD installed for them to keep them busy while I do it. Maybe get a punch and judy in for them too.

R

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
Food quantity question
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 20:40 »
:lol:  get em a pinyata thingy full of corn  :wink:

poultrygeist

Food quantity question
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 20:45 »
I like that....the blindfolds could be tricky to tie but it'll wear them out a bit.

If I could just wean them off the bedtime stories it'd be so much easier.

I hope no-one's reading this.

R  :?

xx
Food question - how to????

Started by Vi on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 14, 2009, 01:24
by Vi
xx
What fun! Also Food Question!

Started by hectorshome on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post April 25, 2010, 13:29
by lukasmum
xx
Daft newbie question about food

Started by lucyeff on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post November 07, 2007, 17:09
by muntjac
xx
ex bats food levels and malting question

Started by slurp on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 30, 2009, 21:06
by mrs.ploppy

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 28 queries.