B****Y FOXES

• 14 Replies

conventgirl

B****Y FOXES
« on: February 25, 2008, 17:05 »
Hello all,

I am a new poster but have been lurking over the past year and so i thought i would tell you my story.

We are really at a point where we dont know what to do for the best.

I rescued 6 battery chickens in 2004 to add to our 4 ducks who were all getting on in life.  Well last June at 9am mr fox decided to pay us a visit.  He killed one of our chucks outright and one died in my arms 5 hours later.  The oldest of our ducks also died but from what we could make out if was from fright rather than anything else.

As you all know this is really upsetting but we carried on getting lots of enjoyment from our girls.  It took the girls along time to get over the shock but eventually they got back to their normal selves.  We also decided to give a home to 2 black cochins.  They were really cute and so friendly..we even used to put them on and off the perch!!!

Sadly mr fox decided to pay us another visit at 1030am one day last month.  By the time we got outside all the chucks had been killed and 2 of the remaining ducks had been badly injured.  The ducks are ok physically now although they still bear a few teeth marks in their necks but they are very subdued.  Even us digging for worms hold no interest for them  :(

I suppose i have two questions: how can we help the ducks get back to their old selves and what can we do to stop the fox killing our girls in the day time?

We would love to give some more chucks a home as our home doesnt seem the same without them but if the fox is only going to pay us a visit then what is the point.

Any advice would be greatful

thanks  :D

jack russell

B****Y FOXES
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 17:27 »
so sad to here of your losses :cry:  

what security measures do you have to keep the fox out.
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/CIMG1386.jpg[/img]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/roostertop-1.jpg[/img]

not organic    but still a nice bloke

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
B****Y FOXES
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 17:37 »
There are lots of experienced chicken keepers here conventgirl and they will be happy to tell you how they try to stop the fox taking their birds.

I have a very small garden and it is not possible to fox proof it but I have a small foxproof run which the girls stay in while I am out.  I let them lose in the garden when I'm at home and have a FoxWatch which is an ultrasonic device which the fox learns to keep away from.  It seems to have worked so far for me as our local fox skirst my garden going through a neighbours garden and over his car port.

I do make sure they are back in their run well before dusk though.

Viv

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.oldmotherhubbardsgarden.blogspot.com
B****Y FOXES
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 17:42 »
Good to see that you have come in from the shadows, I have had a similar experience with a fox, he was coming every other day and taking one of my ladies, touch wood we have been alright recently, my girls ar all free range and my yokohamas are in a fox proof run. keep us posted, don't give up the war on terror :)  :)
Happiest in the countryside.
Breathe deeply, and let the butterflies fly in formation!

Midwife

• Experienced Member
B****Y FOXES
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 18:25 »
So sorry to hear about your girls. Foxes are GITS :evil:  :evil:
Proud to be a 100% qualified, caring, encouraging, one more push, reassuring Midwife!

Jellyhead

B****Y FOXES
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 18:47 »
I second that Midwife :wink:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
B****Y FOXES
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 19:45 »
Hi Conventgirl  welcome to the forum  :D

Sorry to hear about your chooks, we have a local fox but she generally come in the evenings, but mine are only out of their run if someone is in the garden or the kitchen, good view all round.

Personally if it was me I'd try to construct a fox proof run so they could be out in safety and only let them out in the garden if you where there. But thats not always practical. I'd imagine that the fox will visit again if it gets hungry enough as it knows where there is a food source. :(
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
B****Y FOXES
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 20:09 »
I've just found a really good article about foxes and chickens:

http://www.chickenkeepers.co.uk/chicken-keeping.asp?sc=Chickens+and+Foxes

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
B****Y FOXES
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 21:05 »
That's interesting Aunty, thank you.  :D

conventgirl

B****Y FOXES
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 15:35 »
Thanks for all your replys  :)

This has only just become a real problem to our area.  Dont get me wrong we have had foxes around but they have only visited at night or in the early hours of the morning when all our girls are safely tucked up in bed, not like the ones now who are coming in the day.  We have lots of people around us who have chucks, ducks and geese and we have all started noticing an increase in this problem  :(

Our pen is rather large but quite open and we do the male urinating and hair thing!! In winter security is made worse as they have the run of the garden as there arent many plants in the garden.  I am always at home and as our area is mainly inhabited by retired people they tend to be at home most of the time too.

I think the only way forward is to make a brand new run which is smaller and one which is totally covered.  This is such a shame but if it is the only way i can keep the existing ducks safe then i think i need to do it.  I really dont want to stop keeping chucks as i had hoped before Mr Fox had visited that we would add a few more chucks and a couple of geese to our flock this year.

Is there anything else that any of you could recommend to deter foxes in the daytime?  Any advice would be welcome.  Would you really recommend the FoxWatch Aunt Sally?

Nic  :)

Foxy

B****Y FOXES
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 17:08 »
Hello CG,

I would recommend electrified poultry netting. You can get different sizes if you have enough room. I have 50m and 25m lengths. The 25m is really useful for breeding - it is a dark green with dark green posts as well, so it blends in perfectly and is hardly noticable. Can post a pic if you like!

We have foxes and they are around during the day. Unfortunately it sounds like the fox knows they are chickens and he will come back time and time again. You will have to be extra vigilant i'm afraid. :x

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
B****Y FOXES
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 17:18 »
For the size of area you need to protect I don't think a Foxwatch would be effective.  I would say an electric poultry fence would be your best choice too.

conventgirl

B****Y FOXES
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 15:36 »
A pic sounds like a great idea thanks foxy  :)

Where would be a good place to get some from? How much does it roughly cost?

I knew i shouldnt have come on this site as i want it all doing now with new chucks settling in..i must learn to be patient!!  

Many thanks for all your suggestions  :)

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
B****Y FOXES
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 16:13 »
You could try the Melton fur and Feather market on Tuesdays, all sorts of kit available there, plus poultry for sale. I love to go  but sadly don't get Tuesday mornings off work any more  :(

conventgirl

B****Y FOXES
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2008, 10:21 »
I have been to the Fur and Feather market at Melton but the problem is i just want to bring everything home with me!!  I really just cant say no.

I believe they also do these markets on Saturdays?  Dont quote me on that one though  :)

xx
foxes

Started by Henny on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post February 22, 2008, 09:14
by Viv
xx
foxes

Started by grumpydad on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 09:09
by Foxy
xx
F***** foxes

Started by snozzer on The Hen House

38 Replies
Last post February 24, 2008, 22:20
by Aunt Sally
xx
Foxes

Started by mary on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 18, 2007, 14:31
by muntjac

Page created in 0.246 seconds with 31 queries.