Manure - what will happen?

• 6 Replies

brownp

• Experienced Member
Manure - what will happen?
« on: February 16, 2023, 11:32 »
I have been practicing no dig for a few seasons. When I emptied my compost bin onto a large bed, I realised that I had emptied a large amount of unfinished horse manure onto the bed that I had put into the bin and forgotten about. The horse manure had been there for about 3 months and doesn’t look visibly ready.
I think I’m going to add some more well rotted compost to dilute any ill effects.
That got me thinking…I know it is perceived wisdom to only put finished compost onto the beds…but what I want to know is what will happen if plants are grown in unfinished stuff….will growth be stunted? Will the plants wilt and die?
I’m just curious as I can’t recall anyone stating the impact of this? I don’t intend to deliberately use fresh compost in this way…I just wondered what the end result would be? Any thoughts?

snowdrops

Re: Manure - what will happen?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2023, 13:31 »
‘Hot’ manure can burn plants, depends when& what you’re intending to plant there to be honest. Can you not put it back to add heat to your compost bin?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2023, 13:35 »
we have used horse manure for years now without any problems we stack fresh horse for at least 12 months before using unless someone gives me well rotted manure that we can use straight away because you need to know if the hay feed has been sprayed and if its wood shavings I like to let the shavings rot down and they do seem to rot down after there been stacked for around 12 months I was always told fresh horse manure shouldn't be used I know when you stack horse manure or any manure it tend to heat up and it settles down after a few months but then again I'm not in the no dig club and all our horse manure is ploughed or dug in

brownp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2023, 14:49 »
Thanks, I could try to get it back off again but it has definitely not got any heat ….it’s only a thin layer and is mixed with ordinary compost etc.
I am just curious as to what the ramifications of planting into fresh stuff actually are,

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2023, 09:59 »
As it's still rotting down you may find there's more nitrogen in it which brassicas will like but it can lead to softer growth for those plants that don't need it as much. On the other hand, wood shavings etc that haven't rotted down can rob the soil of nitrogen.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Candide

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2023, 16:03 »
I've no personal experience but during my time travel back thro the archives I recall someone saying that they put fresh muck on the beds but scraped it away from where they planted

AndyRVTR

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2023, 18:33 »
I've hot experience of planting with fresh manure.. when plants started growing, with no ill effects I may add, so did the barley, wheat, corn & oats what the horses had been fed with..   :lol: :lol:

xx
what would happen if?

Started by bigsprouts on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 03, 2007, 14:01
by bigsprouts
xx
when do the seasons happen

Started by Sue32 on Grow Your Own

36 Replies
Last post January 28, 2011, 13:21
by Kristen
sad
Is this suppose to happen?????

Started by Woodhousemoor on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 25, 2011, 19:30
by Woodhousemoor
xx
Leeks, what would happen if..

Started by Sideways on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 18:42
by debbiedoll

Page created in 0.467 seconds with 43 queries.