Beans butter, flagelot, cannellini, haricot

• 2 Replies

Learnerlady

• Experienced Member
Beans butter, flagelot, cannellini, haricot
« on: April 24, 2022, 19:53 »
Hi, can anyone enlighten me about beans please as I've grown french, climbing, runner and borlotti but can't work out what to use to get the ones mentioned in the subject heading. Think the climbing/french beans are haricot so think I need to leave on the plant to develop and dry? What about the others?
I was also wondering if they needed to be kept apart? I grew Crusader and Borlotti on same frame last year and seemed OK?
Thank you

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Beans butter, flagelot, cannellini, haricot
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2022, 07:29 »
Butter beans - use Greek Gigantes or Czar.  They are both easy and well worth growing  :)

Flageolet - not tried those but what about these?  https://www.mr-fothergills.co.uk/Dwarf-Bean-Flagrano-Flageolet-Seeds

Cannellini - I have tried this variety before but not from this supplier.  As I remember it was not super productive.  https://www.thompson-morgan.com/p/dwarf-bean-impero-bianco-cannellini-bean-vita-sementireg-italian-seeds/gww0209TM

Haricot - these are the ones in baked beans and are imported as UK farmers find them difficult to grow. 

If you want some different types for variety more, you could also try Cherokee Trail of Tears, which are small black beans with a nutty taste and grow very easily here in the UK.

I grow several varieties of drying beans each year and just keep them a small distance apart on the plot.  I also save seeds and they come true each year. 

Learnerlady

• Experienced Member
Re: Beans butter, flagelot, cannellini, haricot
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2022, 16:09 »
Thanks NS, I was slightly off on the haricot, will look at the variety suggested and work out where I can plant them :)

xx
French climbing beans - dry for haricot?

Started by Chuffy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 20, 2009, 22:50
by Trillium
xx
Cannellini beans

Started by basil on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 16, 2008, 19:20
by gobs
xx
Cannellini Beans.........loads of....

Started by Alex 98 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 11, 2008, 20:00
by Alex 98
xx
cannellini beans grow to dry or use fresh?

Started by nilsatis1964 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 08, 2010, 21:00
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.506 seconds with 31 queries.